Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Wordpress - add a new page with posts

(17 Posts)
pebbles77 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:37:02

OK, I'm feeling very silly about asking this because i'm sure there's an easy answer but i can't find it!!!

so.. i have a home page which has my posts on and then i have an about me page that stays the same.

I didn't want to post my craft posts on my home page as i want to keep my home page chatting and my "check out my crafts" page separate - so i've just added a new page titled crafts but i can't see how i can have it like my home page so that I can add new posts but that are solely about crafts - if that makes sense

check out www.pressiesbypebbles.com - you'll see the crafts page with a bit of information but i can't add posts as such - just more information to the main bit

anyway, i'm waffling -hopefully someone will understand what i'm trying to ask - thanks

Pebbles

katese11 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:50:10

Hmmm, I know what you mean but not how to do it....lemme have a think!

BustyDeLaGhetto Thu 25-Oct-12 22:56:02

pebbles I'm new to all this too but when you write a new post does it offer you the choice to post it in either your home page or your crafts page ?

katese11 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:56:56

OK, howzabout when you go in to edit one of your pages "e.g. check out my crafts" - is there a box called "page attributes" on the right? It looks like you can make some pages the "parent" of other pages. So if you wanted to post a new post under crafts, could you write it as a page instead of a post, and then make it a "child" of the crafts page? Does that make sense??

katese11 Thu 25-Oct-12 23:01:59

Busty, no I don't think it does...unless that's an upgrade!

Have tried it out, it does work...but I don't think it's exactly what you were going for!

pebbles77 Fri 26-Oct-12 11:43:37

katese11 - thank you so much, that does indeed work - not exactly how i want i.e. i'd love just another page that's identical to my posts page - if that makes sense - but at least this does work.

it hasn't allowed me to tag the page - if i was to self host would I be able to tag other pages do you know?

If anyone else has any advice pls shout cos i'm sure i've seen other blogs that have posts on different pages??????

peekyboo Fri 26-Oct-12 12:31:53

Hey pebbles, I'm on Blogger so it's different but when I was first trying to understand it, I found a place in Settings which offered me the option of how many blogs to show per page. It's default setting was one big page with all the posts on. I could change it to anything I wanted, 1 per page, 3 etc. So that could work if there is the same thing on wordpress?

pebbles77 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:45:30

Thank peekyboo i've just looked on wp for what you've described but I can't find it. Will keep looking.

peekyboo Fri 26-Oct-12 12:47:05

Ps Wordpress is very pretty compared to Blogger! Or is it just you that is better at making it pretty than I am?
Is there no comments section? I'd love to comment about always being late.

Amanda

pebbles77 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:51:01

OK, i think it's the theme design that i've chosen - it only supports one main page so i'm going to see whether I can change my theme but keep my simple page?

peekyboo Fri 26-Oct-12 13:01:34

You know, that could work. I seem to remember that by choosing a 'dynamic' theme on blogger, I got to include extra fetaures which wouldn't work on the simple ones

pebbles77 Fri 26-Oct-12 13:18:29

NIGHTMARE - i just tried to play about with new themes and didn't like them so went back to my original theme for it only to have deleted all my widgets etc AGH

MmeLindor Fri 26-Oct-12 16:34:50

I don't know about your theme - but this is how I have done it on www.jumpmag.co.uk

In MENUS add a menu

then add CATEGORIES to that menu

If you have used the CATEGORY 'Crafts' then you will then have separate pages with About, Crafts ...

When you post in the category 'Crafts' it will automatically to that tab.

pebbles77 Fri 26-Oct-12 18:51:45

Thanks so much Mmelindor - after much research and following your instructions i've realised that my theme just doesn't allow me to have more than one so for the moment i'm just going to have it as a separate page which won't look like a blog post and then when i go self hosting which i'm thinking about i can then make the changes then.

Thank you all so much for thinking and helping me

poocatcherchampion Fri 26-Oct-12 18:54:56

Not quite the same but you could always just keep editing the crafty page to add the new content? I'm sure the editor allows a line to separate posts?

Maybe a temporary fix?

Ps have u seen I've moved to Wordpress now?

pebbles77 Fri 26-Oct-12 20:21:03

poocatcher - how did you come up with your name - really made me laugh

yup thanks, think that's how i'm going to do it for the time being

what's your blog?

poocatcherchampion Fri 26-Oct-12 21:30:12

Pm'd you - I'm not a member yet so don't think I can post. Might join now though while I'm here!

There is a way of folding terries nappies called the poo catcher. I use the title ironically as it always leaked without fail.

<preens after waiting 6 months to be asked>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now