Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

I Don't Get Tags.

(34 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Tue 23-Oct-12 21:33:39

Well I sort of get them. I know they are keywords, linked to what the post is about. I even get the difference between categories and tags I think.

What I am unsure of is, does a tag have to be one word, or words that are together, like 'pain' or 'back pain' or can it be/should it sometimes be a sentence, or several words?

for example, one of my posts is about returning to work while in medication and with back pain which is now a disability. Do I put the tags in seperately as 'work' 'back pain' 'disability'. or would I put 'work and disability' as one tag? and 'work and back pain'.

Have I even explained myself properly?

And another question, which might need to be a seperate thread - how do I highlight the key words in the sentences, to make them bold and stand out for google spidery thingies to pick up, you know the whole SEO stuff, but so they are only bold for SEO/searches and no bold in the post itself? You get me?

<sigh> this is soooooo complicated. And I am not even doing a self hosting site.

YoungDebbie Tue 23-Oct-12 23:55:15

You've lost me on the bold issue, as I didn't know turning a word bold would make it show up more on search engines - doesn't sound likely to me, but what do I know?! However, re tags - yes, you can have more than one word in a tag, and then that's known as a "search string" because it's more of a phrase than just a word. But if you put "work and disability" then that would only be a match for "work and disability" and not "work" and "disability", in the Wordpress listing under specific tags. But I suppose you could put all three of those in as tags and see! Then check in your Wordpress stats to see which of these tags is getting the most hits in the week after you've posted the piece with those tags, and you'll see which is most popular and will know to use it again in future. Wish it all worked just as well without tags though - does my head in!!

pebbles77 Wed 24-Oct-12 12:27:25

That's really helpful YoungDebbie - I'm also confused however I've just bought SEO for Dummies and hoping to start reading tonight smile

ZombTEE Wed 24-Oct-12 17:36:14

You don't have to bold the words within the text to get the Google Spiders to find them.

You do need to use meta tags within the code of your site to tell Google what your site is about and then use header tags (any HTML with <H></H>) with your keywords in them. You can get plugins to help you with Meta Tagging and SEO, BTW.

Pavlovthecat Wed 24-Oct-12 18:22:23

where do I put the meta tags? in the HTML section? I think I get it not

thanks!

Pavlovthecat Wed 24-Oct-12 18:23:01

do I have to pay for plug-ins? I have seen them/heard of them but guessed they probably cost £££.

ZombTEE Wed 24-Oct-12 20:10:26

Nope, usually free! yoast.com has been recommended to me as an excellent SEO plugin.

The Meta Tags, if you don't use a plugin, would actually go in the base CSS files. Do you have a self host blog?

Pavlovthecat Wed 24-Oct-12 20:40:04

no don't have a self host site. I am not clever!

Pavlovthecat Wed 24-Oct-12 20:40:25

i will go check out that link, thank you!

ZombTEE Wed 24-Oct-12 20:44:22

Oh, then you can't use plugins! Sorry. grin

Pavlovthecat Wed 24-Oct-12 20:58:50

oh crap! So. I get what I am given? how hard is a self hosting site? it is v difficult isn't it?

When I am not so new to all this, can I change my blog over to a self hosting one? or do I have to start all over again?

ZombTEE Wed 24-Oct-12 21:13:58

No, it isn't hard at all, actually. Millions do it.

You do not have to start over. You need to find a host and they can help you with what you need to do.

Pavlovthecat Wed 24-Oct-12 21:25:43

wordpress have a self hosting site don't they?

Pavlovthecat Wed 24-Oct-12 21:26:41

I will give it a go soon then, I will learn a bit more about blogging generally first, then when I am ready to go 'pro'! I will take a look.

Thanks for your help.

MmeLindor Thu 25-Oct-12 21:49:15

You can go self-hosted with WP. If I were you, I'd do it now cause otherwise you will lose some readers when you move.

I use Hostgator and they are pretty decent. You can register your domain through them too.

pebbles77 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:29:21

MmdLindor - why will you lose readers when you move? if i'm currently with wp.com but want to go to .org (i bought my own domain) - will people lose where i am - if that makes sense - won't i be able to keep my domain?

sorry if this is a silly question

thanks

MmeLindor Thu 25-Oct-12 22:52:31

If you keep the same url then no one will notice - but if you go from eg. saltandcaramel.blogspot.com to saltandcaramel.com then you will lose people - or if your blog has been linked on another blog, then the link will go to your old blog.

You can set up a redirect, of course, but in my experience, if you are thinking of moving, do it when you are starting up then you can get your blog set up as you like and then start building readers.

Pavlovthecat Fri 26-Oct-12 10:26:41

I will have a lot, thanks mme. I am just worried as I am not 'techy' at all. I love the idea of doing it as a self-hosted blog, but also worried I am biting off more than I can chew, seeing as blogging is new to me too. I don't want to mess it up badly and then not be able to get it all back to where it was.

Pavlovthecat Fri 26-Oct-12 10:26:55

look not lot blush

Pavlovthecat Fri 26-Oct-12 10:33:28

<head spinning> Arrgh!!

Now I am very confused. So wordpress.org - that is not a host? what is it then? so, lets say I get a host such as the one you suggested mme? what do they do that wordpress doesn't? what does wordpress do that they don't?

I was thinking I was just going to 'go for it' but now, I am changing my mind. I thought wordpress.org was the self-hosting site! But it is talking about choosing a host.

<head continues to spin>

MmeLindor Fri 26-Oct-12 15:51:39

ok, look at it this way.

Wordpress is your paper, with lines and boxes in which to write. Wordpress.org or Blogger, or Tumblr is the software that enables you to blog. It gives you the framework (the pages, tabs etc)

Hostgator is your box in which to store your paper - your binder of women's stuff

Hostgator (or whoever) is the host of your domain. It is the storage place.

Pavlovthecat Fri 26-Oct-12 19:40:39

Oh I seee <slaps forehead with stupidity> really not sure I got what it takes to do it on my own!

QueenMaeve Fri 26-Oct-12 20:40:09

me neither pavlov. I did try to set up a wordpress one but gave up after a while. I know my blogger one is not ideal, but I think I will stick with it for a while. If things progressed any more on the blog I maybe would look into paying someone to do one for me.
Do the seo's make a huge difference do you think? I just like the idea of my blog posts being organic, I don't like the idea of just including certain words for traffic.

Pavlovthecat Fri 26-Oct-12 21:01:32

I try not to think too much about seo, try to make it organic, but when writing I think, will this get anyone looking? If I change that general word for a specific one will that help? Thinking a little about the right word makes my posts a bit less general and more concise, I sometimes think people know whati mean, when actually I have said it! So for me, seo is more about actually saying the words! Rather than real proper seo of placing keywords.

Not sure if that makes sense?

MmeLindor Fri 26-Oct-12 23:21:03

It might be worth looking into getting someone to do your set up for you, if you really don't want to do it yourself. it really isn't too big a job, and shouldn't cost much.

In fact, I am wondering if I should start offering to do this. I have done it for commercial customers, but I never thought of doing it for bloggers - cause I assumed that most of them are willing to do it themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now