Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

When Blogs get TOO Personal

(8 Posts)
BustyDeLaGhetto Sun 21-Oct-12 14:11:10

Just written a very personal and revealing post on my blog about my experiences with PND and Panic Disorder, not to mention alcoholism. Its not the blog's usual style at all, but my blog I feel, needs to be given some context.
I've just posted it to facebook and twitter and now I feel horribly exposed.
Has anybody else done this ? Should I have written under a pseudonym, do you think ?
http://theluckyapple.wordpress.com/

Its here but the page is called 'Black Dogs and Bell Jars' and is clicklable on the top left.

* Scared Face *

peekyboo Sun 21-Oct-12 15:08:16

I've just done exactly that! My blog is about living with aspergers and was personal enough when it was just in cyberspace, but now I've also shared it on Facebook, which includes friends, family, people I've known for years.
What I did was have the aspergers blog as a separate entity from my other blog, linked to my books and writing, which I have kept deliberately light.
So far, I've had very positive feedback on Facebook from people who I count as online friends but have never met and, interestingly, no response at all yet from anyone I actually know!
Amanda
www.aspie-girl.blogspot.co.uk/
www.thewishatree.com/blog/

EllieAllAtSea Sun 21-Oct-12 15:25:10

BustyDeLaGhetto I've just read your post and loved it. So honest. You tackle a very dark subject but it ultimately has a positive message. I think its an excellent piece of writing and you should be proud that you had the courage to share it with those you know. 3 cheers for you!

ZombTEE Sun 21-Oct-12 15:26:28

Good for you. The more people talk about these things, the better the world will be.

pebbles77 Sun 21-Oct-12 16:57:57

Busty - amazing piece of writing, i loved reading it and think you are amazingly brave. I hope it helped you writing it down but I also hope it helps a lot of people who are in the same situation to know that things can improve and get better.

I hope your response from real life is very positive as well.

Keep writing and well done

xxx

Thisisaeuphemism Sun 21-Oct-12 20:43:59

Just read your excellent post and wanted to comment. I don't think blogs ever get too personal in that I always want to read authentic, honest writing and yours has that in spades.

Initially, it does feel weird having your thoughts and your vulnerabilities out there, but I think although it feels massively important to us as the writer, it isnt like that for anybody else.

Many of the people you think will read it won't, (bastards!) many will read it and will be simply thinking ooh I fancy some crisps, or I didn't know that about her - but it won't change their feelings towards you.

However, some people will read it and think, thank you for giving this feeling a voice, or I feel less alone now. That is why 'exposing yourself' (?) is worthwhile.

borninastorm Sun 21-Oct-12 21:39:30

I have a very personal blog about being a mum to teens and I'm very honest on it, but I keep it anonymous because I don't want people who know me reading how I feel about things but moreso a lot of what I write is about my teenagers and how they feel about things and I'm sure they don't want people knowing it's about them. I'd like to think if it was just about me I might be more brave...smile

You're incredibly brave to put it out there on Facebook and Twitter under your real name. In the interests of being anonymous I would create a new Facebook account for my blog just like i've done for with Twitter.

But as the people before me have said, you shouldn't worry because whether you're anonymous or just yourself on your blog you are helping people and that is a wonderful thing. And the response from the people who need your voice is the only response that is important.

mumtoteens

BustyDeLaGhetto Sun 21-Oct-12 23:27:46

Thank you everyone for your positive and insightful feedback. I am coming back to this thread tomorrow as will have more time to absorb everything then but it's always nice to know you're connecting with people, which is why we keep writing in the first place isn't it ?

For now however I am off to the land of Bedlington. I am currently reading a novel and I can't decide if it's rubbish or just shit. So I have to keep reading it to find out, like a rubbish literary martyr. Goodnight all, will speak in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now