I've just gone public on Facebook with my very peronal blog!

(13 Posts)
peekyboo Sat 20-Oct-12 14:42:25

Oh, I feel a bit sick now, but this is a good thing and part of the whole process...
For anyone who hasn't seen it, I'm doing a blog on being an adult with aspergers at aspie-girl.blogspot.co.uk/
It's a big step for me, though I haven't told everyone I know on there. It'll all trickle out now I expect. I've messaged people I feel will be sympathetic and/or interested.
It's something I intended to do and I haven't forced myself, but I still feel a bit wobbly now I've done it!
Fingers crossed I don't get any negative reactions. I think that cat is out of the bag now though!
Amanda

OP’s posts: |
SucksToBeScaryMe Sat 20-Oct-12 14:46:47

Have suscribed. Look forward to reading it. BTW,you are very pretty!!

pebbles77 Sat 20-Oct-12 15:55:31

Well done you, you should be very very proud of yourself. Please don't worry, people will only be in awe and very grateful for you sharing the information.
Well done, I love reading both your blogs x

MmeLindor Sat 20-Oct-12 16:42:48

Good for you - I hope you don't mind that I shared it on Twitter the other day - I have a few followers who are interested in aspergers or whose children have it.

peekyboo Sat 20-Oct-12 18:39:00

Thanks for the kind words!
I don't mind it being shared at all, the more people who know, the better.

ChookKeeper Sat 20-Oct-12 18:49:05

peekyboo thank you so much for sharing this. My DD1 (18) has only had her diagnosis for a year but I could see so much of her in your posts.

The colour blue especially struck a cord and explained so well where she goes to when she switches off.

peekyboo Sat 20-Oct-12 20:52:14

I'm glad it's helped a bit ChookKeeper!

greenfern Sat 20-Oct-12 21:02:46

Just read your blog, be proud of yourself your such a good writer.

Well Done x

peekyboo Sat 20-Oct-12 21:19:38

Thank you greenfern!

Gusthetheatrecat Thu 25-Oct-12 10:53:05

Well done you! I keep meaning to take what feels to me like the 'final step' of publicly acknowledging my blog, by posting a link to the latest post on facebook. I have been putting it off, though!
I think your blog is really interesting. I don't know very much about Aspergers, but I have learnt some more from reading you; thank you.

peekyboo Thu 25-Oct-12 11:00:09

Thanks, I'm glad it's been useful!

clucky80 Thu 25-Oct-12 13:06:28

Hi Peeky, you write brilliantly and your blog is so interesting I was captivated and want to read more! I am at the very early stages of blogging and am currently just trying to think of how to pitch it and what to focus on. Like you I will be slightly wary of putting it on fbook but I think that it is a good thing and really opens people's eyes.

peekyboo Thu 25-Oct-12 15:34:47

Thank you so much for the compliments!
I've found that now, only a few days after going public on FB, that it's been an invaluable source of support and also a way to meet new people who have an interest in aspergers or are aspie themselves. I'd read that FB was no good as a way of building an interest in your blog, I only took that route because I wanted to share it with people who knew me. It's turned out to be the way I've 'met' most of my new readers.
I think it must depend on the subject matter of your blog. Perhaps if it's very commercial, based around a product, then FB doesn't work in your favour. But with aspergers, it's something people often seek support for and I think FB can be quite good for that as it brings people together and they are already there with their personal profiles. It's easy to post about things too, in a way that email lists aren't. Plus you get to see people's pictures, so it's more like meeting people.
Now, I'm so glad I 'came out' on FB as I've been able to make connections with people I never would before and also and gained support I wasn't expecting and has been a comfort to me.
Also, I do have another blog which is very light-hearted compared to the aspie one. I did that first and it got me used to the whole concept of blogging, so perhaps you could do a lighter one, based on general stuff, while you make your mind up about a more in-depth subject?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in