Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

I've just gone public on Facebook with my very peronal blog!

(13 Posts)
peekyboo Sat 20-Oct-12 14:42:25

Oh, I feel a bit sick now, but this is a good thing and part of the whole process...
For anyone who hasn't seen it, I'm doing a blog on being an adult with aspergers at aspie-girl.blogspot.co.uk/
It's a big step for me, though I haven't told everyone I know on there. It'll all trickle out now I expect. I've messaged people I feel will be sympathetic and/or interested.
It's something I intended to do and I haven't forced myself, but I still feel a bit wobbly now I've done it!
Fingers crossed I don't get any negative reactions. I think that cat is out of the bag now though!
Amanda

SucksToBeScaryMe Sat 20-Oct-12 14:46:47

Have suscribed. Look forward to reading it. BTW,you are very pretty!!

pebbles77 Sat 20-Oct-12 15:55:31

Well done you, you should be very very proud of yourself. Please don't worry, people will only be in awe and very grateful for you sharing the information.
Well done, I love reading both your blogs x

MmeLindor Sat 20-Oct-12 16:42:48

Good for you - I hope you don't mind that I shared it on Twitter the other day - I have a few followers who are interested in aspergers or whose children have it.

peekyboo Sat 20-Oct-12 18:39:00

Thanks for the kind words!
I don't mind it being shared at all, the more people who know, the better.

ChookKeeper Sat 20-Oct-12 18:49:05

peekyboo thank you so much for sharing this. My DD1 (18) has only had her diagnosis for a year but I could see so much of her in your posts.

The colour blue especially struck a cord and explained so well where she goes to when she switches off.

peekyboo Sat 20-Oct-12 20:52:14

I'm glad it's helped a bit ChookKeeper!

greenfern Sat 20-Oct-12 21:02:46

Just read your blog, be proud of yourself your such a good writer.

Well Done x

peekyboo Sat 20-Oct-12 21:19:38

Thank you greenfern!

Gusthetheatrecat Thu 25-Oct-12 10:53:05

Well done you! I keep meaning to take what feels to me like the 'final step' of publicly acknowledging my blog, by posting a link to the latest post on facebook. I have been putting it off, though!
I think your blog is really interesting. I don't know very much about Aspergers, but I have learnt some more from reading you; thank you.

peekyboo Thu 25-Oct-12 11:00:09

Thanks, I'm glad it's been useful!

clucky80 Thu 25-Oct-12 13:06:28

Hi Peeky, you write brilliantly and your blog is so interesting I was captivated and want to read more! I am at the very early stages of blogging and am currently just trying to think of how to pitch it and what to focus on. Like you I will be slightly wary of putting it on fbook but I think that it is a good thing and really opens people's eyes.

peekyboo Thu 25-Oct-12 15:34:47

Thank you so much for the compliments!
I've found that now, only a few days after going public on FB, that it's been an invaluable source of support and also a way to meet new people who have an interest in aspergers or are aspie themselves. I'd read that FB was no good as a way of building an interest in your blog, I only took that route because I wanted to share it with people who knew me. It's turned out to be the way I've 'met' most of my new readers.
I think it must depend on the subject matter of your blog. Perhaps if it's very commercial, based around a product, then FB doesn't work in your favour. But with aspergers, it's something people often seek support for and I think FB can be quite good for that as it brings people together and they are already there with their personal profiles. It's easy to post about things too, in a way that email lists aren't. Plus you get to see people's pictures, so it's more like meeting people.
Now, I'm so glad I 'came out' on FB as I've been able to make connections with people I never would before and also and gained support I wasn't expecting and has been a comfort to me.
Also, I do have another blog which is very light-hearted compared to the aspie one. I did that first and it got me used to the whole concept of blogging, so perhaps you could do a lighter one, based on general stuff, while you make your mind up about a more in-depth subject?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now