Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

'Yummy Mummies': what's behind all the bile?

(14 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Oct-12 10:02:09

This week MN blogger Rowan questioned the resentment so often directed at 'yummy mummies' in the Guardian, in a piece which sparked a heated debate.

So for our blogprompt this week, we're asking what you think of the 'yummy mummy' phenomenon? Does the 'type' deserve the criticism, or is the term itself essentially misogynist?

Mumsnet bloggers Marytuda and Lynn from Salt & Caramel have already posted - so let us know here if you blog on the topic and we'll tweet your posts next week.

choochy Fri 19-Oct-12 10:06:53

I think 'yummy mummy' is often an aspirational term - I would love to be one! Sadly, I am more of a 'slummy mummy'.
however, I know it can be used as an offensive label, and that annoys me too. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing the best for your children and devoting as much time and energy as you can to their upbringing.
Choochy at www.stumblinginflats.com

Bonsoir Fri 19-Oct-12 10:11:07

"Yummy Mummy" describes a non-working mother with conspicuous consumption habits. Ostentation tends to grate...

crackcrackcrak Fri 19-Oct-12 10:16:12

Because the term comes from a shite chick lit book about west london wankers.

Plus it adds pressure to the getting your figure back in 2 seconds crap. It's not good and its not feminist.

Francagoestohollywood Fri 19-Oct-12 10:17:23

I don't mind ostentation. I mind children everywhere, at all times of the day.

MmeLindor Fri 19-Oct-12 10:48:28

lol Franca. Me too.

Mary
Interesting blog post. Where I live, I am probably considered the 'yummymummy' type, although I'm really not. I am currently in Germany for the school hols and we went to soft play area yesterday, that happens to be in the most expensive area of Munich. To say that it is another world is not overstating it. Posh dresses and kitten heels - at soft play!

I dislike the term because I find it demeaning and sexist, as I explained on the blog. I also dislike mummyblogger, mumpreneur (I reserve a special place on my spreadsheet for anyone who uses that term) and whatever new mummyblabla term the press come up with next.

crackcrackcrak Fri 19-Oct-12 11:39:04

I did see a posh mummy at soft play recently with a vair naice handbag and pointy heels and nails. Her kid dressed in joules fixated on dd who was wearing her best organic patchwork wink

finecheese Fri 19-Oct-12 13:54:36

I find the term "yummy mummy" totally offensive and patronising. It is a horrible sugary sweet phrase which most mothers I know shun rather than use to describe themselves or label others. Its a media-term not a term used by mothers with any brain cells. Its just another way to compartmentalise people. So what if some mums where heels and lippy all the time and so what if some women don't? We are women and we are mothers. That is as far as it goes in my book.
I have always had good handbags and worn a stack of lippy, but if ANYONE called me a "yummy" bloody "mummy' I'd deck them!

choochy Fri 19-Oct-12 14:06:21

I think the term mumpreneur is far more offensive and demeaning than yummymummy - keeping us right under the patriarchal thumb.
Just been debating this with friends this afternoon and I withdraw my previous 'aspirational' comment - but we're all mums with teenagers so maybe we missed this trend...

NewMumOnline Fri 19-Oct-12 15:54:46

Hi
I have just written about this here:
newmumonline.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-guardians-yummy-mummy.html
I assume this is where we are supposed to place the links to our blog posts on this subject?
Liska x
@NewMumOnline

lililolo Fri 19-Oct-12 22:13:55

I kind of blogged about it yesterday http://thebittersweetmanifesto.com/2012/10/18/julia-gillard-my-new-feminist-heroine/

I just hate the whole thing tbh. It's all just mother-bashing.

BranchingOut Fri 19-Oct-12 22:20:28

Motherhood is 'supposed' to be awful, the end of life as you know it. Entering a changed state.

Therefore resentment of any woman who enjoys being a parent and still keeps herself.

MrsBran Mon 22-Oct-12 17:29:17

Maybe it's not the yummy mummies to blame but the laddy daddies?! I wrote a blog piece about it here sarabran.com/2012/10/22/forget-the-yummy-mummy-what-about-the-laddy-daddy/ grin

Hi

I'm taking the Yummy Mummy haters to task on my blog!

Check out my piece at diamondsanddaisychains.com/yummy-mummy-hater-yawn/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now