Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

new here and needing constructive, kind advice!

(16 Posts)
rainbowbrite1980 Wed 17-Oct-12 12:19:30

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Mumsnet Bloggers Network, and would love any tips / advice you can give me (nicely and kindly!) - I am hosting my blog in the free version of wordpress.com (is this ok?), and having a few problems getting the blog to look exactly as I want it. I'd love it if anyone could have a look and comment (again, kindly!) on what you see?

www.makingourmemories.wordpress.com

I also need some help in directing more traffic to my blog. I am gathering followers mainly via facebook and by commenting on other blogs, but I'm not sure of the etiquette of shamelessly plugging my own blog in comments, so hesitant to do this. But my numbers are teeny and little at the moment and I'd love any ideas as to how I can attract more readers.

Thisisaeuphemism Wed 17-Oct-12 12:28:30

Hiya,

I have the same questions as you, and my blog: (Grandadcametotea.wordpress.com) is only 2 months old, so not sure I'll be much help.

I had a look at your blog and think you're a wonderful mother! I like the suggestions of things to do, etc, and the sweet pics. I'm not sure about the busy background (the bears?) I found it distracting, but then I like things v. simple.

I think twitter can make a difference with traffic, and also joining other groups I suppose. It is v. hard to put yourself out there, I know. sad

I too wonder about plugging blog in comments on here. I don't think on mumsnet it is 'the done thing'. I did it once, and everyone v. politely avoided it!

2under2blog Wed 17-Oct-12 12:30:15

Hello Kate!

Great idea for a blog, I'll be trawling for rainy day activities. I have followed your site. A few things:

1. Your MN bloggers badge seems to have imploaded - looks like it's unhappy with the code.
2. Do you use Twitter? Facebook is great for traffic but I find I get a lot more from Twitter. I believe MmeLindor on here is a bit of an oracle on getting started.
3. Can you make an 'about me' page? It'll free up your home page for your blog feed. You can do this easily by adding a new page within WP dashboard. Ooh actually I've just looked and it seems you've added one already - you just need to move your 'about me' text over there. You can add a text 'widget' to the RHS of your site (have a look at mine )
And finally:

4. Your kids are adooorable!

2under2blog Wed 17-Oct-12 12:31:46

btw there is a regular 'Latest blog posts' thread where you can stick up links.

I think all-out self-promotion is not great but if it's in the name of helping others, have at it! We're here to support each other and offer advice so there's no harm in pointing people at your blog for ideas. As long as you give back, I don't personally see it as a problem.

peekyboo Wed 17-Oct-12 12:39:09

I'm in the same position as Rainbowbrite really, small traffic to the blog and no real idea if I'm doing it right. How do you build up a following on Twitter from a cold start? I find Twitter itself quite confusing, especially compared to facebook.
Hope you don't mind me asking on your thread, Rainbrowbrite?
Amanda
www.thewishatree.com/blog

2under2blog Wed 17-Oct-12 12:44:05

In haste so forgive me - bext way to build up a relevant Twitter following is to be sociable. Join up, find fellow bloggers, see who they follow - and get chatting! Will pop back later to expand but I imagine you will have had plenty of help by then smile

rainbowbrite1980 Wed 17-Oct-12 12:45:06

Thank you for replying :-) I definitely don;t mind anyone using this thread to ask for advice! I'm not sure what to do about the mumsnet badge code except remove it and try again, which I'm about to do!! Peekyboo, I have subscribed to your feed :-) and twoundertwo, I have followed your blog :-) I'm also about to have another look at those widgets! xx

peekyboo Wed 17-Oct-12 12:50:23

Thanks Rainbowbrite!
I didn't have trouble with the widget, but only because I had already suffered when I tried to add the facebook one. It's a big learning curve when you have to get to grips with the techy side as well as everything else.
My blog was slightly different as it's part of my website, so I think sometimes that makes it harder to promote as it's not on its own - and can be harder to do the tech side too!

pebbles77 Wed 17-Oct-12 13:29:42

Hi, I love your blog - the maths post was fab and I'm going to be trying it out later smile

I agree that maybe your background is a bit busy and perhaps your main page is too thin? - and as it's thin that's why the widgets etc at the bottom don't sit well on the page?

I'm only a newbie as well so not sure how you make those changes i'm afraid.

Am now following smile - www.pressiesbypebbles.com

MmeLindor Wed 17-Oct-12 14:49:05

Rainbow
Has something gone funny with your layout? There is no background to your text box and I cannot for the life of me read your text. I agree that the teddies make it quite 'busy' - perhaps you could leave them but not have the tiled down the whole page - just as a bar along the top.

I'd remove the first post, since you now have that info in your 'About Me' page.

The content looks great - from what I can see of it.

Thisis
love your blog's simplicity - could you get the strapline (trying to be a better..) all into one line? Or is that just on Google Chrome that the last yada is on the second line?

As to getting more readers on Twitter - first start by looking for other bloggers and blogger networks (Britmums, Netmums, Tots) and following them. If they RT a blog, have a look and start chatting with the other bloggers.

Twitter is interactive - you will need to spend a bit of time on it to begin with then you will start to see a rise in hits. You do have to see it as primarily a place to chat to others, and not a place to advertise your blog - a couple of links a day eg morning, lunchtime, evening is fine. Don't overdo it but don't just post one link and be done.

Try to link to other blogs that you find interesting, and to any news stories or magazine articles. Don't just tweet about blogging, but about other stuff, and react to what others are telling you.

Someone said today, "Be human", and that is the first rule of Twitter. Or second, if the first rule is INTERACT smile

I have a few tips on my blog about this here. Do come and find me on Twitter.

MmeLindor Wed 17-Oct-12 14:55:08

I always forget what I meant to say...

One thing that makes a big difference to a blog is if you design a blog banner, rather than using the one provided by your theme.

This is a good tutorial on using Photoshop to design a banner. You can add pics such as the caramel on my blog banner, or whatever you like.

2under2blog Thu 18-Oct-12 11:42:10

Site's looking good Rainbow! I have a poorly baby today so I'm going to be trawling your ideas to keep my toddler entertained...

rainbowbrite1980 Thu 18-Oct-12 23:16:38

Thank you everyone, I have changed the layout so it is now much simpler - my husband said that there was no background to the text box when he accessed it at work, when we access it at home there is - hopefully with the new theme it will be better. I will have a look at the banners and start getting to grips with twitter (have signed up today!). Thanks so much :-)

EllieAllAtSea Fri 19-Oct-12 09:06:56

Hi there, my blog is also new and I'm trying to grow my audience. Facebook helps me the most. I've signed up for twitter and this forum will be a great place to make friends, but I'm going to try my best and be relaxed that it is going to take a bit of time. Some people are reading it - so that's a start! My biggest problem is finding the time for all the social media stuff - don't you think it could easily be a full time job?! I had a quick peek at your blog and I will be returning when the kids are asleep. I love the photo at the top. My blog is All At Sea x

MmeLindor Sat 20-Oct-12 15:59:10

It is looking great, Rainbow. Love the new background, and I can read it at last.

Gemboree Thu 25-Oct-12 22:47:04

Hiii, I'm new to this site and was wondering the same thing!
Really enjoyed your blog,thought it was a great idea, just wondered what everyone thought of mine? www.athomewithconnor.blogspot.com thank you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now