Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

is it possible to change my twitter name to match my blog?

(7 Posts)
midnightexpress Mon 08-Oct-12 13:29:43

I've just started a blog, and I'd like to use Twitter with it as a way of increasing traffic. I already have a Twitter account, but I don't really use it, and the name doesn't relate to my blog at all. Is it possible to change my twitter name or to add a separate account? I can't seem to to find the relevant infomation on twitter itself so I thought I'd ask you wise ladies. The 'sign up' page won't seem to let me add a new account with a different user name to the same email address.
I am such a tech twit.

MmeGuillotine Mon 08-Oct-12 13:43:08

It's really easy to change your Twitter name - just go into Edit Profile then Settings and then type the new name into the Username box. smile

One thing though, unlike some social sites, your old name won't continue to be linked to your new account but will become free for other people to use (my old user name is now being used by a weird looking man in Romania). If this is likely to nark you in any way then it might be best to open a new account instead!

midnightexpress Mon 08-Oct-12 13:58:44

Oh thank you - that's easy enough!

My first thought was to open a new account, so that I could keep the old name for general blether if I ever felt inclined, but when I tried to sign up with the same email address and a new name it just said 'we already have an account registered at that email address' - will they not allow you to have two accounts, do you know? I couldn't figure out how to bypass it.

MmeLindor Mon 08-Oct-12 17:31:31

If you want to have a second account, just sign up for a gmail account in a different name and use it to join twitter.

I kept my old name, and put a bit in it saying, 'If you are looking for the twitter user formerly known as Mmelindor, please go ... '

ZombTEE Mon 08-Oct-12 17:44:53

Each account has to have it's own email address.

2under2blog Tue 09-Oct-12 11:28:43

Yes it might be worth having two accounts - if only so you can set up a dedicated one to a 'blog' email. That way, you can keep your personal email/Twitter seperate.

It's also nice to have an email address that contains the name of your blog, and these are easily set up with Hotmail. It's a good step towards building a 'brand' for your blog (even better if you can self-host your site on a dedicated address - for example my email for my blog - 'two under two' - is celia@2under2.co.uk).

midnightexpress Wed 10-Oct-12 20:21:24

Thanks everyone. I've changed my name - I feel like a new woman! And I've set up a separate email for the blog. Now <mutters> must get round to adding it to the profile.

Sheesh. It's a full-time blimmin job. Must get on with the proper actual paid work...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now