Guide on blog word counts

(3 Posts)
Bachelormum Sat 04-Aug-12 15:20:17

Hello seems to me the jury is out on word count for blogs. I try to keep them short but it doesn't always work (i also leave long messages on message bank too although I don't mean to). Is there a standard? Thanks for your thoughts.

OP’s posts: |
YoungDebbie Mon 06-Aug-12 14:08:37

I don't think there's any standard that I've come across - some of my blog posts go on for ages, others are just two or three paragraphs (same for other people's blogs that I like to read).

The most important thing is that every word counts (ho ho). It's always worth proofreading each post several times and cutting out unnecessary words, so that you end up with a tightly written piece that flows well. That way the reader will keep reading, however long your post is.

A good tip is to read it aloud - you'll soon notice if you are stumbling over any awkward phrases. And if your sentences are so long that you have to pause half-way to take a breath, divide them up!

And of course, there are lots of really good posts around that are simply a photo, with or without a caption (or does that count as a picture speaking a thousand words?!)

Here's a link to my blog if you want to take a look: Young By Name

Looking back, the earliest posts were very short - and they got longer as I gained confidence and found my voice (pretentious, moi?)

Good luck - and have fun, in however many words it takes you!

TheNewson Tue 07-Aug-12 00:28:40

Again, there is no rule of thumb.

I desperately try to keep mine below 1,000, preferably about 850, but it doesn't always happen.

Purely because that is how I was used to writing for a feature on a newspaper.

But that's my personal benchmark. Others would probably disagree and feel that is waffling on far too much (as if I would do such a thing).

I also agree with the reading out aloud comment. I always bore my husband by reading my blog. If he is asleep then I know I've droned on even more than usual!

www.thenews-on.blogspot.com

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in