Does anybody else find being a single parent hard?

(7 Posts)
Bachelormum Wed 27-Jun-12 13:18:52

I get absolutely exhausted - on a daily basis.
I lie in bed and worry about my daughter and her relationship with her dad.
I walk to work and worry about not seeing my daughter enough.
I wake up in the morning and worry about how I am ever going to afford to buy a home for us.
I get lonely.
I'm a generally happy person despite all of this ... but being a single parent comes with a whole lot of stuff you don't bargain on.

What do you find hard?

Bachelor Mum♥
www.bachelormumstyle.blogspot.com.au

OP’s posts: |
Spero Wed 27-Jun-12 13:42:41

It is hard but I sometimes fall into the trap of making it harder by comparing myself to others when I know nothing about their lives. We all have struggles and sadness and I bet a lot of people in relationships which look happy on the outside are going through their own difficulties and worries unknown to me.

I find it hard sometimes to value what I have because you can get lost in the comparisons. If you and your daughter are physically well, if you have a roof over your heads etc then you do have a lot to be happy about.

I have just read Nora Ephrons address to the graduates of Wellesley college on twitter and is is v inspiring. She says write down five things about yourself on a piece of paper, do it again in five years and the liklelihood is that they will have all changed. I hope that is an encouraging thought!

GemsAngels Wed 27-Jun-12 14:20:33

Maybe you need something for you to take your mind off things. I go to zumba and whilst Im there I think of nothing but shaking my booty smile
I know its hard sometimes, and can be very exhausting but also the most rewarding job in the whole world! You should be very proud of yourself for being the best mum you can.

Tambasher Tue 03-Jul-12 20:25:31

Yeah I find it tough sometimes but it was tougher living with an abusive fecker, I worry mainly about how IT, sorry EX will impact on their lives, I also worry that I am too lenient with them and they may try to abuse me when older, I also worry they will take their Dads side when they get older and hate me, I worry about what people think of me, I worry about how my DC will manage as they get older, wow I worry a lot so yeah I guess it is tough!

I was coming on here to say no. confused

MagicHouse Thu 05-Jul-12 17:34:10

Yes it is hard sometimes. It's also great sometimes. I feel so lucky to be supported by tax credits in the UK, because without them I simply could not work/ pay my mortgage. I never realised such support existed before my marriage broke up. (As a couple we were never very good at claiming any support we were eligible for).
Of course I have lots of worries (what if something happened to me/ what will it be like raising teenagers alone/ how will my children turn out having had to deal with a fairly acrimonious split, etc etc), but on the whole my life is a lot less stressful than before, and things are settling down now. It's been the toughest year of my life though, without a doubt.

KathleteMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-Aug-12 13:48:09

Hi, we've moved this into Bloggers, thanks.

Bachelormum Sat 04-Aug-12 15:12:03

I've retread through my initial post and I still agree with it. However each day if I was to give it a score it cn be completely different: from 0 one moment to 7 the next dy (7 being everything is ok), i don't talk much about it to friends so it's good to hear others' thoughts in this forum. Thank you x

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in