Fluctuations in pageviews?

(34 Posts)
pockledigg Sun 22-Apr-12 12:26:22

Does anyone have this?
I'll be happily going along at say, 150 views a day for a few weeks and then it will drop to about 50, and it seems like I have to work really hard and it will take a good while to get it back up to the 150 mark again.

Perhaps they just all get fed up with the blog, but it's happened twice now and I'm wondering whether it's just 'par for the course'.

OP’s posts: |
DillyTante Sun 22-Apr-12 22:07:32

Mine is similar, but I know that my page views drop when I've a while between posts, and I have done anything to publicise it.

pockledigg Mon 23-Apr-12 11:18:33

Yes, mine drop between updates too, but this is a more fundamental drop

BaronessOrczy Mon 23-Apr-12 11:52:00

Mine's the same - I know exactly what you mean Pockle.

But it's a fine line between blogging too much and not enough! You don't want to alienate people by doing too many posts.

BlackAffronted Mon 23-Apr-12 17:01:44

I can vary from 43 to 1,600 a day! That was all in the last week. Weird, Icant get my head around stats at all.

pockledigg Tue 24-Apr-12 06:06:02

Ok thanks for your replies-it's good to know I'm not alone. At the moment I only post twice a week as I find it quite time consuming and don't always have the 'inspiration'!

MillyAndFriends Wed 25-Apr-12 00:43:10

Hi I've noticed the same thing.
What I do is review the stats by page and post - I can then narrow down whose reading what and the topics / style of post which seems to work with my audience.
I also notice that lots of people are viewing the pages but that doesn't translate to following my posts.....trying to work out how best to tackle this (including tightening up the pages more...) Think its a case of trial and error.

Milly

Bella2010star Wed 25-Apr-12 21:39:18

So glad that I have found this post I have just started a new blog and it is not easy getting page views some days. Is it better to have more traffic or followers? I feel that people are put off "following" blogs due to the process of signing up an account.

pockledigg Thu 26-Apr-12 05:36:34

Personally, I'd rather have the traffic than the followers. I only have 17 followers on the blog, but in on Twitter I have 108. Twitter seems to work well for me. I post a Tweet when I've done a new post, with something interesting(well, to me) in it like'Want to find out about pig butter?'-(yes, really), plus a link, and send the Tweet a few times over a couple of days. I also 'target' people who I think may be interested (most aren't!). In my case comedy writers, comedians etc.
Despite all my efforts I still only had 55 views yesterday. I think perseverance is key.....

Bella2010star Thu 26-Apr-12 08:53:50

How often do people up date their blogs? Does this impact page views?

BabyMeFashion Thu 26-Apr-12 12:14:08

I try to have a new blog post on my blog every day. If I don't I notice my stats drop. However, I think it's also to do with how much you publicise a blog post. Whenever I've written one, I tweet it & link it on facebook. If I don't do that, I don't get as many views...

DillyTante Thu 26-Apr-12 18:47:03

How do you find posting every day? Hard work? I couldn't do it, but I often to write lengthy posts and do a bit of research first so each posts takes a while.

MillyAndFriends Thu 26-Apr-12 22:57:48

Hi Pockledigg, That's great advice.
I use Twitter but I need to be more focused on how to use it - I will try your approach. Also finding it too difficult to blog everyday - as I don't have the time and for me I need to come up with a book first!

I agree with BabyMeFashion. When I sent my blog update through FB I received more hits than usual and it was so much easier than the email update. I have also realised lots of people look at facebook more than email, so I am going to see how I can link my blog more effectively through facebook.

I am so glad I found this thread. Thank you for starting this Pockledigg.

Milly

MillyAndFriends Fri 27-Apr-12 00:11:47

Hi,

I had a think and:

Decided the re-advertise my 2 most popular posts over the past month and re-tweeted and facebooked them again. Think the reason they were popular were because the titles were catchy e.g. Easter Holidays - Food Babies & Kicks.

Contacted my friend who is a bit of a computer geek and asked her to advertise the blog on her fb page. She's into social media and therefore likely to spread the word about the blog via the social network.

Also, I found this article which may be of interest.
It gives 10 tips for increasing traffic
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/21-tactics-to-increase-blog-traffic-2012

Will let you know what the feedback is.

Milly

Bella2010star Fri 27-Apr-12 15:40:06

What is classed as a good page view? Mine reached 177 on best day and 50 on worst. If I am looking at starting to make money from the blog so I have to hit more page views or is it followers?

MillyAndFriends Sun 29-Apr-12 17:51:37

What a great question. Can anyone advise?

Milly

BabyMeFashion Sun 29-Apr-12 21:35:14

It can be hard work having a blog post up every day. I tend to blog 2-3 evenings a week but write 2 or more blog posts in one go... it can be a slog sometimes though. If I feel it's getting boring or on top of me I stop for a bit but it does mean stats go down. 50 views a day would have been amazing for me about 6 months ago but these days that'd be a bad day. The most I've had in one day was 297 and the lowest would have been none, but that was before I made more effort with the blog. These days it's usually over 100 views per day. Some people get thousands each day though.

Jill2 Sun 29-Apr-12 21:52:08

I can't imagine having a thousand posts a day. I started my blog in late January and I feel lucky when I have fifty in a day. I think that the most I have had is 100. I usually try to write one a week, but at times life gets in the way. I communicate a bit in forums, but again it is finding the time. I still enjoy knowing that my writing is being read and from some of the feedback I have gotten, people seem to enjoy it. Hopefully it will grown

Jill2 Sun 29-Apr-12 21:52:30

Grow I mean

pockledigg Mon 30-Apr-12 06:37:44

The most I've had is 343 and the least for a long time was a few days ago when I only had 30. I've been doing it for 6 mths now and read an article that said you should expect around 250 unique (brand new readers??) views every day after 6 months!!
I too would like to make some money, but not sure which way to go. Lots of people slag off Adsense, and I don't have the 'traffic' to justify it (I don't think so anyway).
A lot of bloggers say that it's important to blog daily in order to get the viewing figures up, but if I did, it would be poor quality crap, (some may say it is anyway), I'd rather produce twice weekly and better quality posts.
I do know of one blogger who gets well over 1000 views a day-her blog is on frugality and she blogs virtually every single day, so perhaps that's how she's built up her views? This is her blog, if you're interested meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.co.uk/
Perhaps it's worth an experiment trying to do some sort of blog post daily, however short, just to see if it increases viewing figures?
Is anyone doing daily posts and if so, have they increased viewing figures?

Cumbrianmam Tue 01-May-12 12:13:44

That blog is really good - and very now, I can see why it is so popular. I wonder why she doesn't have adverts on if she gets so many hits, she could earn a bit from that. I'm not getting anywhere near that number of hits (187 is my highest) but have had adsense on for two months now and have made £26. (they don't actually pay you till you get to £60 so some way to go!) When people say they use Twitter and Facebook to advertise is that your personal pages or do you have one set up for your blogs? Have only just joined this forum but looks like i'm going to learn lots x

pockledigg Tue 01-May-12 17:23:47

I think Meanqueen actually chose to remain ad free-she's not interested in making money-just enjoys the blogging (I think).
Cumbrianmam-are you happy with Adsense, are the ads acceptable to you? Do you have much control over what gets put on your blog?

Cumbrianmam Tue 01-May-12 19:34:30

Hi Pockledigg, I'm finding the ads mostly good with a few odd exceptions. My blog is about free family days out in Cumbria - and I seem to get a lot of Cumbrian holiday cottage and Ordnance Survey map adverts, both of which are great by me. However, I have also had Mature Dating and Red Diesel pop up now and then, both of which I'm not keen on. I haven't attempted to control it yet but I have a feeling that you can't do it to any great extent.
I heard that Blogads is very good, but I don't think I have enough hits for that.

ImaginateMum Fri 04-May-12 07:46:42

I got my most page views when other sites linked to my blog, in one case the BBC, in another the Treasure Trails Facebook page.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kqz5p (I am third blog link listed)

https://www.facebook.com/#!/treasuretrailsUK (25 April post)

The BBC found my blog themselves, but I told Treasure Trails I had written. So, I guess part of the way forward is if you have relevant content to try and let interested parties know, so they do some of your publicity job?

Also got a lot of hits when I wrote about the National Trust "Things to do" thing. They came from Google as it was in the news! I am guessing people didn't mean to find me, but perhaps it shows that topical content gets noticed?

imaginatemum.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=504&action=edit

pockledigg Fri 04-May-12 10:42:17

Thanks IMum, sometimes I wish I was writing more factually based content as it's a bit easier to pass onto relevant organisations. Having said that I'll keep plugging away at comedy writers etc. Sounds like you've had a couple of 'high hits events'-good for you!!
I wrote a blog about brewing tea using old pants the other day, but I can't see Tetley giving me a 'shout out'!! Never mind.
CMam-spurred on by your experience I have signed up with Adsense. Feel a bit 'grubby', like Bob Dylan when he went electric, but £26 in two months is not to be sniffed at. With that I can top up the coal shed (the bath).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in