Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Newbie - Wordpress HELP!!!(6 Posts)
Hello lovely ladies. Just started my blog this week about twins (due Monday, gulp, so thought I'd make a head start).
I have several practical questions to get it purty and functional before I start pushing it out there. Would be VERY grateful if anyone could help as pregnancy brain is not helping me.
1. Header - how do I stop it coming up with the automatic 'just another wordpress' sub heading and replace with my own? I don't have Paint/Photoshop BTW.
2. How do I get different headers on different pages?
3. How do I get an 'about this blog' bit on the front page - maybe an excerpt in the sidebar?
4. On the home page, with all the blog entries, I want people to see there are lots (well, 4!) Is there a way of doing excerpts from entries and having a 'read more' click through?
5. Links to sites I like in sidebar? Thought that was 'blogroll' but patently not.
It's likepeasinapod.com BTW if anyone wants to look, will apply for MN network when I'm happy with it!
Hopefully this can help...
1. You can change the strapline by going to your Dashboard > Settings > General Settings. It's the "Tagline" option.
2. When you say headers, do you mean images in the header? The only way I can think of doing this per blog post is to add an image in at the top of the post. You can upload a header image if you go to Appearance > Header
3. Probably best to do this as a two-stage thing. First, create a page by going to Pages > Create New Page and make an About page with all the bits and bobs you need, then secondly, going to Appearance > Menus and creating a new menu with the link to your about page
4. Go to Settings > reading and select "Summary" where is says "For each article in a feed, show"
5. Again in Appearance > Menus, create a menu based on links and add the links you want to appear in that particular menu : )
Happy 'pressing : )
Thanks so much Gem!
1. Done, hurrah
2. Will do, cool
3. I have an About Page with content, it's in my top menu - how do I get an excerpt with an image in the righthand sidebar?
4. Have done, but it ain't working...could that be because all my posts are on the homepage? Or have I not set it up as a feed properly? Argh!
5. Will do
PS - it's likepeasinapod.com/
Also, and sorry for using you as my personal helpdesk...how can I set it up so when I have the twins next week I can tweet the news and pics and it will pop up as a post on the blog's homepage??
Scrub that, worked out how to do it so all Twittered up now! [smug emoticon]
Haha, excellent news! Glad you got it working! : )