Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Has anyone set up a Facebook page to support their blog?

(40 Posts)
GertieGooseBoots Fri 21-Oct-11 09:00:56

I was thinking I might dip a toe in the water, and I have seen some pages that are 'business pages' but listed as personal blog in the descriptor - but I can't see anything in the set-up process (where you have to select the nature of your business) that looks appropriate. Magazine? Entertainment? Anyone navigated their way through this already?

MmeGuillotine Fri 21-Oct-11 11:59:41

I have one at http://www.facebook.com/MmeGuillotine. I think most bloggers seem to have a Facebook page now and they do send a lot of traffic your way once you have people adding them.

I did mine a few months ago but remember it was relatively painless. I think I picked 'writer' when I was setting it up but other people may pick different things as each offers different thingy doodads on the page itself? You can then pick 'websites & blogs' as a category and then pick a precise category that fits best - I went for Arts/Humanities.

The only thing is that you need a certain amount of 'likes' (20? Someone else will know) before you can change the URL to a more pleasing one, like the name of your blog. smile

JenniferJJ Fri 21-Oct-11 12:39:04

Just a quick question, if you set up a Facebook page for your blog, does it link to your personal account, or is there a way to keep it separate?

Typecast Mon 24-Oct-11 12:10:18

It's automatically seperate. You post on your own page as your page name rather than your personal name. You also have the option to use Facebook as that name too so you can "like" other pages in your page name rather than your personal name.

MMeGuillotine - it's 25 likes then you can go to the "username" page and re-define your Facebook URL.

JenniferJJ Mon 24-Oct-11 12:18:22

Thanks, that's really helpful, also good to know that you can still like pages but as your page name. Not sure I'm ready to inflict my blog on my Facebook friends yet!

FlamingoBingo Mon 24-Oct-11 12:48:53

I have one, Jennifer. You can link it to your personal account, you can change who you're posting as (you or your blog) you can do all sorts. Try it out, and tell us all so we can come and like it for you so you can have your own name.

Mine is http://facebook.com/freeyourparenting

FlamingoBingo Mon 24-Oct-11 12:49:15

sorry forgot to link properly!

PetiteRaleuse Mon 24-Oct-11 13:40:46

Min eis http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pint-Sized-Rants/188186054587018 and I'd love some people to 'like' it. <hint hint hint>

PetiteRaleuse Mon 24-Oct-11 13:40:59

Ooops www.facebook.com/pages/Pint-Sized-Rants/188186054587018

MmeGuillotine Mon 24-Oct-11 13:55:29

I've liked both of yours. smile

I hate Facebook so just leave myself logged in as Madame Guillotine all the time and do all my liking and commenting under that name. I'd love to delete my personal account but unfortunately it's linked to the blog page so I'm stuck with it! If I was setting one up now I'd try and keep them separate!

PetiteRaleuse Mon 24-Oct-11 14:02:28

Me too. I'm sick of Facebook on a personal level. Had a massive clearout of 'friends' a few weeks ago. It felt good. Would love to be rid but since I set up a page for the blog I'd like to see how that goes (not brilliantly so far)

MmeGuillotine Mon 24-Oct-11 14:20:20

It's a hideous site. I'd cheerfully leave for good if I could. I long for the day when I can! smile

FlamingoBingo Mon 24-Oct-11 14:20:48

I hate facebook too, MmeG, but I have far too many people I keep in touch with via FB now to get rid of it hmm

Petite - I found it takes along time to build up FB likes, but those are your real stats, I think - not just the flash in the pan ones you sometimes get on your blog (not you personally!)

SucksToBeMe Mon 24-Oct-11 14:25:33

I just 'liked' your links PetiteRaleuse and FlamingoBingo

smile

PetiteRaleuse Mon 24-Oct-11 14:26:58

Thank you

FlamingoBingo Mon 24-Oct-11 14:38:06

Thank you, SucksToBeMe - which liker are you? smile

SucksToBeMe Mon 24-Oct-11 15:50:13

My profile picture is me and my DS riding a horse!

Typecast Mon 24-Oct-11 16:30:47

Oh well, if we're linking Facebook pages then this is mine right here grin

strawberry17 Mon 24-Oct-11 18:35:49

I've liked yours petiteraleuse to give it a boost smile

strawberry17 Mon 24-Oct-11 18:44:09

Can I ask a question? at the moment my blog is syndicated to publish to my personal facebook account, if I set up a page as well, will facebook be able to publish to my page instead? or both?

FlamingoBingo Mon 24-Oct-11 18:46:19

Who are you blogging with, Strawberry? You can set up WP to post directly to your FB page, or you can get Networked Blogs to do it for you.

strawberry17 Mon 24-Oct-11 18:53:30

I'm with Blogger and I already have it syndicated to my personal facebook page but as my blog is of a more personal nature I often thought it would be good to have a seperate page for it unconnected with my personal facebook account.

FlamingoBingo Mon 24-Oct-11 18:55:53

See if there's an option on the syndication thingy on blogger to do it to your page rather than your profile, but if not, then get it to go through Networked Blogs because you can choose from there.

strawberry17 Mon 24-Oct-11 19:01:59

Yes think I'll have to go through networked blogs. I've set it up anyway, not entirely sure what I'm doing with it yet LOL

www.facebook.com/pages/Prozac-Survivor/272717486084935

But it would be REALLY useful to seperate it from my personal facebook, would feel a lot more comfortable that way.

PetiteRaleuse Mon 24-Oct-11 19:21:22

Thanks strawberry - have returned the favour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now