Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Techie Question - Google Analytics

(4 Posts)
PetiteRaleuse Thu 20-Oct-11 08:54:21

Morning,
Am setting up a couple of other websites in addition to my blog and have installed Google Analytics.
How can I stop it from counting my own visits?
It's distorting my stat obsession!

JoanneMallon Thu 20-Oct-11 09:20:54

I thought the whole point of GA is that it strips out your visits and crawlybots and should only count actual visitors - hence the stats are usually lower than whatever your blog host shows. But even if it includes them, unless you're visiting hundreds of times a day, does it really make that much difference? As long as the over all traffic is rising, isn't that the main thing?

PetiteRaleuse Thu 20-Oct-11 09:40:18

Yes, it is the main thing but I'm a tad perfectionist on some things so was wondering if there was a way I could stop it counting me. It doesn't make that much difference, but the sites I'm going to be setting up I will get VERY excited when people other than me start visiting (and it's ironic that you're the one who answered this as I was going to PM you today with a request for advice) as I'm contemplating not quite a career change but a project that I hope will work out IYSWIM.

So I'm not bothered for my blog but will be when it comes to the new stuff.

WhiteBike Mon 24-Oct-11 16:07:36

Hi

When you are in GA, you need to go to the profile section. In here you should see the filters. Add a new filter and set this to block your own IP address. To get your IP address just google this - the first few sites will all tell you the IP address. enter this and that will filter out you from the results! Hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now