Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Does anyone else get strange comments?

(18 Posts)
SallyDon Wed 12-Oct-11 14:24:59

I keep getting comments from gentlemen and ladies for whom english is not their first language, which then link to websites for things like snowboards. Do I take it this is spam or should I just be grateful for the comments?
Sally Donovan

MmeGuillotine Wed 12-Oct-11 14:49:02

Heh, definitely spam. smile

The best spam comments are the really fawning 'Oh your blog is so very amazing. I add it definitely to my blogroll and am now devoted reader' type ones. smile

SallyDon Wed 12-Oct-11 15:02:24

So I guess 'You colour scheme so very clever and I say that as someone with bad eyesight so that is very great compliment' is spam as well?

blush

MmeGuillotine Wed 12-Oct-11 17:09:35

Alas yes. I think pretty much all bloggers have had that little twang of 'Oooh, someone REALLY likes me! Hooray!' before they look closer and their heart sinks...

I've started getting quite abusive spam now: 'I used to think you always right but I can't agree with your blog no more'. At least, I think it's spam...

SallyDon Wed 12-Oct-11 17:49:47

Most definitely is the spam becase no one is going to post the stuf like that for real.

Thanks Mme G, you is cool!

butterflyexperience Thu 13-Oct-11 04:40:56

SPAM

smile

PetiteRaleuse Thu 13-Oct-11 07:24:45

This isn't spam but I have a genuine person who has left critiques of my blogposts. He comes across as really spaced out and weird.

Stuff like: why comment? oxygen of publicity? STOP!

And: To give you a flavour of what I see in your writing, I'd ask you to look at your opening paragraph. If you put a full-stop after, 'But, I also think there is another side to the story, which is just as valid'. You,ve got their attention now,your reader is hooked. They want to know about the 'other side', and will feel compelled to read on. Your job after that is to draw them in and furnish them with the information that is needed to make an informed choice. You 'rant' contains a great deal of information that meets this requirement. Given structure,dogged revision and honing this is the stuff that newspaper articles are made of. Far removed from the gutter-press.The truth is out there, unfortunately, for a majority of people it is subjective. objectivity is the antithesis of the narrow-minded bigotry,racism and sectarianism that tarnishes not only this country, but, many other countries of the world. With a talent like yours, you could make a difference.In the interem however, keep on ranting.

I have no idea who this person is but hey, he seems to be enjoying it in the second comment, and then in the first telling me to shut the f up.

Toomuchtea Thu 13-Oct-11 10:50:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 13-Oct-11 11:03:01

Ha ha not yet.
Have looked at his blogs and there isn't much there.

I think I put him off by stopping answering to his comments though. He hasn't said anything for a while.

SallyDon Thu 13-Oct-11 12:59:40

Gorilla editing maybe.

Childpatch Thu 13-Oct-11 14:29:22

I go these "I love your site and want to read more". At first I was really flattered and chuffed, folk had taken the time to read and comment. Then I looked at the trail of weblinks they wanted to leave behind, a few frisky ones, snowboards, host my site here. I was no longer flattered

I don't mind giving somebody a link from our site, if your comments are relevant and your link is too. Frisky stuff and gambling sites are bad neighbourhoods for Google ranking.

I am no longer quite so chuffed at shameless link dropping

MmeLindor. Fri 14-Oct-11 17:58:58

Petite
Ha. That made me laugh.

Most of my spam goes into spam box. If you are on WP check out Akismet for spam blocking. Works really well.

Tomisinathewitchescat Fri 14-Oct-11 22:06:00

I had a pretty nasty one during the week. It wasn't even a direct criticism of the post, just a nasty person obviously. But feck it, I'm told its a rite of passage for bloggers grin

Bitzer Tue 25-Oct-11 12:18:57

I'm so new to blogging that I'm not yet binning the excessively flattering spam comments. It feels a bit less depressing than not having any comments. Do you all moderate comments or let people post and then delete the inappropriate comments afterwards

Bitzer Tue 25-Oct-11 12:26:45

Sorry, that was meant to be a question!

MmeGuillotine Tue 25-Oct-11 12:37:01

I don't moderate comments and only get the occasional (a couple a month) spam comment getting through as I have Akismet set up on my Wordpress account. I'm really impatient and hate all the faff and hoop jumping that most blogs have for commenters so decided to get rid of all that on my own blog to make it as easy as possible for people to reply. smile

Bitzer Tue 25-Oct-11 13:31:03

Thanks Mme - think perhaps I might start doing the same.

MmeGuillotine Tue 25-Oct-11 13:34:45

You can always change the settings again if it doesn't work for you but I think it's worth getting the odd bit of spam if it makes it easier for genuine comments to be made. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now