Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Recipes and copyright?

(8 Posts)
MrsvWoolf Sun 09-Oct-11 14:35:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 15:18:49

From what I have observed it's polite to say this recipe is from Thingy McThingbob's book "Cooking Stuff".

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 15:18:58

Don't know what the actual rules are though.

MmeLindor. Sun 09-Oct-11 21:10:37

I normally do "this is based on XY recipe from RT cookbook"

and then add what I did differently.

ScaredTEECat Sun 09-Oct-11 21:25:51

Recipes are and are not copyrighted. You cannot copyright a list of ingredients. You can copyright the method of cooking, but not completely. Prove who first wrote 'bake at 190 C'!!

That doesn't mean that it isn't nice to give credit!

You can, however, patent a dish, if it is truly unique. And good luck proving that!

This is a pretty good explanation of how it works

MrsvWoolf Sun 09-Oct-11 21:31:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScatCatShoo Sun 09-Oct-11 21:53:37

MrsvWoolf, its a tricky thing. As a foodblogger, I always write about the sources for my recipes. It could be my mum, for example, or from a cookbook.

It's usual if you are copying a recipe word for word, including instructions then you need to seek permission. However, if you write it in your own words, you don't need permission, but you do need to acknowledge source material.

This is my go-to source for any recipe attribution issues. I hope you find it helpful. Cheers!

foodblogalliance.com/2009/04/recipe-attribution.php

GraceWhoIsTired Thu 13-Oct-11 10:53:57

Good to know. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now