Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Photos on blogs that you didn't take...

(10 Posts)
Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 13:10:23

I was going to revive the thread on always putting in pictures but couldn't find it.

If you are writing about something and need to illustrate, is it OK to just take pictures off the internet? Are there some places it's ok to take pictures from and some that it isn't?

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 13:19:53

Anyone?

ScaredTEECat Sun 09-Oct-11 13:59:09

You can google 'copyright free images' and find plenty of things it is fine to use. I like Wikimedia Commons, even though I don't use images much, except ones I take myself.

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 14:00:12

Thanks Tee! That's exactly what I wanted smile

FlamingoBingo Sun 09-Oct-11 14:26:14

Go to Flickr and click on advanced search. Put your search terms in and then scroll down a bit to 'search only creative commons licensed images' or something like that, and click on the box next to that.

You can use all those photos, as long as you post an attribution and a link (small thing at the bottom of the post saying 'Image from blahblahblah'

Also Photobucket, although crap, you can use for free images.

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 14:47:29

smile

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 14:58:53

I'd assume also that if I am talking about something that you can buy from a website, the website wouldn't mind me using a picture if the picture linked to the website where you can buy it?

(e.g. recommending some headphones, picture/link from Amazon)

ScaredTEECat Sun 09-Oct-11 15:58:49

I'd make that assumption as well Trill, but I would also put a note on the image something like 'the above image links to www.blahblabh.com where you can buy this product.'

But I am very militant about copyright as you can see if you read my post on the weekly blog post thread.

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 16:00:44

(sorry for making the same conversation happen in 2 places)

ScaredTEECat Sun 09-Oct-11 17:00:07

Don't sweat it Trill!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now