Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

I have writer's (blogger's?) block. I don't know what to do!

(15 Posts)
overmydeadbody Thu 06-Oct-11 16:31:50

I used to blog all the time, I had so much to blog about I couldn't keep up, and would write two or three posts a day and then schedule them to be posted on future days. Then my computer died and I lost a lot of my photos and now I cannot get back into the swing of it.

Any ideas how I can get back into it? Anyone else experience similar?

Trills Thu 06-Oct-11 16:36:06

Does your blog have to be about something or is it a "just some stuff I wrote down" blog?

If the former I don't know.

If the latter why not start with a stream of consciousness type post?

stitchthis Thu 06-Oct-11 16:38:26

Hi over sorry to hear you are bunged up as it were. Do you think you might be expecting too much of yourself and then beating yourself up when you don't hit your very high standards. Your blog is so good, jammed with useful interesting ideas but maybe you're allowed to ease off a bit. Perhaps you cld blog about inspiration sources ( I might do the same come to think about it) or a part of a process eg finishing techniques. You don't have to do whole projects, breaking it down might give you a new point of reference. What do you think?

overmydeadbody Thu 06-Oct-11 16:46:24

oh stitchthis I think you have hit the nail on the head, I do feel under a lot of pressure to complete projects and blog about them, and when I lost my photos I felt so inadequate, like I had failed or something. It's hard to explain. I will try what you suggested. I am so worried about disappointing my readers too, how silly is that.

Trills yes my blog is about specific things, mostly projects I have completed, and I lost all the photos for the last ten or so projects I did, so it all a stress in my head, I can't blog about the completed projects without the photos, I am not a good enough writer for that.

I have just had an idea though, I tihnk talking about it here helped. I will attempt a post today about the Market I have just got a stall at. If I manage to post tonight it will be a big feat.

stitchthis Thu 06-Oct-11 17:27:31

Go for it.

Trills Thu 06-Oct-11 17:33:25

Good luck smile

overmydeadbody Thu 06-Oct-11 23:07:54

Well, I did it, I finally managed to write another post here

I procrastinated until 10pm though, my bedtime, and then made myself write it even though I didn't want to.

butterflyexperience Fri 07-Oct-11 08:46:22

Good luck with the stall Over, you'll do great smile

I find that when I am stumped to write it's because I feel over whelmed by so much going on in my life that I can't relax or focus enough to put my thoughts together.

Take time out from blogging and come back to it when you feel ready. Blogging is a release and not a chore.

hth

AuthorAl Fri 07-Oct-11 14:20:05

Hi there - I write a lot as it's my job and writers' block comes at the most inconvenient time, usually when deadlines are looming etc. Writing a blog is fun for me and I try to treat it like that. I have a blog on here (link is below) - Diary Of A Stay At Home Author And Dad - and my blog has several posts with lots of ideas for overcoming most blocks. I hope that one or two will get your own thoughts flowing. There is no one answer as it depends on your mood, outside pressures etc. Feel free to take a look and I hope they help.

Al

www.alandapre.com/blog

sparklythings Fri 07-Oct-11 17:31:05

I suffer from the dreaded writers block myself every now and again,think everyone does at some point. smile
My last blog post was about 'how to cure writers block' with all the things I find helpful in getting the words flowing again.

http://castawaywithdreams.wordpress.com/

overmydeadbody Fri 07-Oct-11 18:42:55

Thank you Al and sparklythings, I will have a loo at your blogs for help!

Thanks for your support butterfly, you are right, blogging shouldn't be a chore! Thanks for all your supportive comments on my blog too, they are what make it all worthwile!

stitchthis Fri 07-Oct-11 19:43:50

inspiration blog as discussed. I commeed on your blog body - glad, you're revving up again!

PLUS2POINT4 Sat 08-Oct-11 15:01:29

Your readers will understand that you are only human and will wait for you to post when your readyI follow some bloggers who were blogging every day and life got in the way and they too felt that they wre letting their readers down.I don't feel now as much as I used to feel pressure to blog.A break helps me get inspired by reading other blogs and visiting social media site sto see what's new.Blogging should be enjoyed smile

iloveblue Sat 08-Oct-11 20:45:17

Hi OMDB

I love your blog and have always been amazed at the amount of posts you manage and the sheer creativity behind them all.

How about:
- getting some guest posters in, maybe from blogs that inspire you/have inspired you
- feature some blogs/shops/tutorials that you use and recommend
- start a weekly feature, maybe a 'this moment' type thing, a photo (no words) once a week that sums up your mood, or a My favourite things type round-up. I've just started doing Friday Finds once a week, precisely because of this. It might seem a bit lazy, but it will keep you updating regularly, and may help you get your inspiration back.

Hope this helps x

overmydeadbody Sat 08-Oct-11 21:45:51

Iloveblue thank you so much for your lovely comment, and the brilliant ideas, I Like the idea of a weekly thing like you suggested.

PLUS2 thanks, you are right, my readers will understand, I need to take the pressure off.

Thanks for the link stitchthis.

Thanks for your comment butterfly, I always love getting your comments! Comments are great, they make blogging worthwhile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now