Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

What makes you comment on a blog?

(19 Posts)
Overreactionoftheweek Tue 13-Sep-11 15:35:04

I comment all over the place really but am wondering what prompts other people to have a say on a post.

For me, a lack of comments suggests I'm being really dull, which could well be the case blush or can you not be arsed sometimes? Negative feedback would probably be helpful too as it could improve things.

Are you fussed about comments on your blogs?

I'm a little bit scared that I'm opening myself up to criticism now but will be brave!

Adventures of a First Time Mum

MmeGuillotine Tue 13-Sep-11 15:39:03

I don't mind a lack of comments all that much as I write a history blog so a lot of what I post is informative rather than up for discussion. On the other hand, whenever I ask people why they don't comment they always say that they feel too intimidated, which isn't great.

TheFarSide Tue 13-Sep-11 15:46:55

I would probably comment if someone said something really outrageous that I disagreed with.

MmeLindor. Tue 13-Sep-11 16:35:18

I comment if I have something to say.

So, for instance, I read a blog today about nappies (well, to be honest, I clicked on it but didn't read it) but since my DC are now 7yo and 9yo, there was not really anything I could add.

I read your blog post about hypnosis, but I have never had any experience of this and am not likely to give birth again, so I would not comment on it.

Sometimes, I will ask an open question at the end of a blog post, and I do find that that makes people more likely to comment.

MmeGuillotine Tue 13-Sep-11 17:15:45

I used to comment loads on blogs if I had something to say but then fell out of the habit when my Wordpress login fell out with seemingly every blog on the planet so I couldn't use it. I find Captcha type things really difficult as well so avoid commenting on lots of blogs that I would actually like to reply to because the actual logistics of leaving a comment is too arduous.

I'm trying to get over it and back into commenting now, but I have to really want to say something!

Overreactionoftheweek Tue 13-Sep-11 17:25:14

Yes it can be a real pain to actually get a comment on someone's post at times. I think I got a bit too obsessed with the importance of comments...especially, as you've all pointed out, that if you're writing about a niche subject then only a few people will really have an opinion on it.

MmeLindor. Tue 13-Sep-11 17:40:43

Oh, yes. MmeG. I cannot get Wordpress to comment. I have a blogger thing set up with indirect link to blog but it is arduous.

Commenting should be easy.

The set up I have now is quite good. First comment is moderated, but after that you can comment and it goes straight onto the blog.

misdee Tue 13-Sep-11 17:40:47

i dont always comment due to pc failure to do as i want it to, a child hanging off me, or me reading on my phone and me suffering from fat-fingers grin

MmeGuillotine Tue 13-Sep-11 18:04:17

I now have totally unmoderated comments so that it is as easy as possible for people to reply. I get surprisingly few spam comments coming through so it seems worth it for now.

ScribblerInTheSpaces Tue 13-Sep-11 18:11:50

Message withdrawn

butterflyexperience Tue 13-Sep-11 18:59:42

If I like the craft on a post
If I connect with someone
If the post is connects with my life somehow

Tee2072 Tue 13-Sep-11 21:57:59

I rarely comment on blogs just to say something. I will comment if the entry made me laugh or made me think.

And I comment more on MN bloggers blogs that I know!

I agree Captcha can be a real pain and the issue with WP and logging in is so annoying.

I actually get quite a bit of spam so I am set up so the first time you comment I have to approve it and then after that you can just comment.

MmeLindor. Wed 14-Sep-11 09:34:21

Have been thinking about this, and have noticed on my stats that I often have hits from people following through from another blog.

I guess this is part of marketing your blog, commenting elsewhere means that the blogger is likely to have a look at your blog. And anyone who reads that blog and likes what you have written.

So, if you are doing it (partly) to get readers, it seems important that you write something more than just "Great post!", but actually comment on the blog.

And lets face it, we all love getting comments so maybe we need to share some commenting love.

Violet5 Wed 14-Sep-11 10:37:26

I comment if something resonates with me or if i've enjoyed reading a post.
I never comment if there's already 10 plus comment's though as what i would have said has probably already been said.
Occasionally some blogs feel so professionally done that i feel a bit to intimidated to comment but it doesn't mean i won't have enjoyed reading it. I love blogs that have an element of self disclosure about them as i like the more personable feel but i think thats just down to my own personal blogging preference.
I follow quite a few blogs through my blog roll, i hardly ever buy magazines these days thanks to the fab blogs i have listed smile

FlamingoBingo Wed 14-Sep-11 11:06:13

I often can't be bothered to comment on blogger blogs because the process is so long-winded and annoying.

I usually comment if I have something to say, but comments on your blog aren't the be all and end all - I get comments on posts to my FB page and my twitter stream, so know ppl like what I write. They just don't always have something to say about it on the blog itself smile

strawberry17 Tue 20-Sep-11 17:02:18

Like Violet5 I comment if something really resonates with me and I really have something to say about it, I don't comment for the sake of commenting, I've had the odd one of those on my blog and I could see right through it, it's best to be genuine. I always reply to people who take the time to comment on my blog as well.

sparklythings Thu 29-Sep-11 23:20:50

I read loads of blogs, and comment all over the place too. Things that make me comment are usually posts that I can identify with, things that relate to me, or things that I have something to say on.
Sometimes though I'll read it, enjoy it but have nothing to say on the matter. Doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed reading it, just that I have nothing constructive to say, so just read and run! smile

http://castawaywithdreams.wordpress.com/

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 29-Sep-11 23:41:50

I never read blogs. I have never knowingly read a blog post. Am truly amazed that people do.

KTatHome Fri 30-Sep-11 11:03:35

I have a blog I dont have many comments - does that mean it doesn't enthuse people? I will comment if something is fantastic or I strongly agree with or disagree with so I dont know- I have tried asking questions on the posts asking for opinions all help appreciated - perhaps we could offer our comments on other blogs?

www.katieathome.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now