Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Are memes a bit wanky and try hard or I am I just not really getting this blogging malarky?

(10 Posts)
DillyTante Thu 08-Sep-11 22:32:52

I keep spotting various memes on blogs, especially 'mummy blogs' (god I hate that phrase). I did spot on post by a blogger complaining that people just weren't following the rules of the meme properly, and it made me wonder what the point of them is. Is it just the bossy kids in the playground who like to make up the games and the rules and get other people to play them. Is it simply a way of getting more people to read your blog? Are people too obsessed with traffic and quantity? Relying on cunning means to get foot traffic rather than their content.

Is it part of the narcissism that is inevitable in blogging? Is it being part of a gang? I don't know. But it brings out the non-conformist in me, and want to stick two fingers up at the girls saying "no, that's not how you do it". It also makes me want to make up my own meme so I can be the boss and be the cool girl with my own little gang grin

MmeLindor. Thu 08-Sep-11 22:39:28

I am not sure. I have taken part in a few of these, but I do feel that it is mainly an attempt to up traffic to the blog.

There was an interesting one I saw today, about expats that I fancied joining in with, simply because it would link me to other expat blogs, and I liked the kind of things that she was writing about.

Not keen on the "Tell me 3 things about you that would surprise me" kind of memes.

Go on then, start a meme. What could it be?

The Why I Hate Memes Meme?

mememummy Thu 08-Sep-11 22:45:12

I don't get it. My nieces n nephews call me meme cuz they can't say Amy

MmeLindor. Thu 08-Sep-11 22:46:52

Mememummy
We don't dislike all Memes, I am sure you are a lovely Meme.

As an aside, my DD has a friend called Amy, and her nickname is Memeboo

DillyTante Thu 08-Sep-11 23:06:37

Ok, my meme would be to post a photo of your house, one of the 'living rooms' au naturel, say at 1800 on a Friday evening, no poncey flower arrangements or artfully laid out knick knacks, just your real house after a week at work/home with the kids. Do you think I'd get many takers? grin

PeriPathetic Thu 08-Sep-11 23:29:54

Hah! I'd go for that. But only because I've just done a major tidy-up and DD is away tomorrow grin

I too dislike memes. It seems a lazy way of blogging to me; if you can't think of something to write, don't write anything.

Amodmillymum Thu 08-Sep-11 23:42:44

I think the beauty of blogging is you make your own rules, find your own way. I have meme'd when I have thought I can be arsed and then thought can't be arsed with t'others.

The rankings are all about being linked so memes create linkage which is good for SEO that is the point of memes.

Which is why blogs with writing workshops 'Sticky Fingers' and "sleep is for the week' rank so highly.

It's'up to you s'pose. Depends on why you blog and what your global domination plan is really...if you have one or not - if you see what I mean.

I just love to write with freedom - tis why I blog. It's mine and I can do what I want with it, which is why I get scratchy when folk say 'you can't write that'.

MmeLindor. Fri 09-Sep-11 06:17:38

Dilly
I would go for that one, but only cause Friday is my cleaning-the-house-for-the-weekend-day.

Yes, Milly, I see what you mean. I know I should know all about SEO but I don't. My world domination plan is slightly lacking, I fear.

FlamingoBingo Fri 09-Sep-11 07:32:54

Dilly, I think that's a fab meme!

I am beginning to realise that, when it comes to blogging, there are reasons people do it that are financial - the more hits they have, the more cash they can get from doing reviews and having ads etc. (as I understand it).

IMHO, hits from Memes are not necessarily people who like your blog, though.

For instance, I want to drive traffic to my blog, but because of my reason for blogging, it is vital that the traffic is not meaningless traffic - it has to be people who are coming, and coming back again, to read the content.

Coming just because they're doing a meme thing would mean nothing to my blog - except that it might make people more aware of the blog. Personally, I'd rather have people coming to my blog through genuine recommendations, word of mouth (keyboard?) and from worthwhile comments I've put on other blogs i.e. ppl like what I have to say IYSWIM.

If I had a Mummyblog, or was blogging for to make money, I'd probably take part in a few for fun, but memes with strict rules the breaking of which triggers a telling off are, IMO, a little bit frustrating.

MmeLindor. Fri 09-Sep-11 11:26:07

Ok, here is a test - Mumofalltrades has a meme/bloghop this weekend. I will take part and let you know what happens. It is actually a good one, with no strict rules, just link a post that you liked this week.

Anyone else joining me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now