Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Blogging newbie, dipping my toe in the water, need a name and inspiration and advice please!

(10 Posts)
Bumperlicioso Tue 05-Jul-11 13:56:16

Ok, I will admit that up until now I have considered blogs to be mostly smug and narcissistic blush and I still think some are.

I have, mainly through a few threads on here come to realise the value of many, and how even if some are dull, smug or whatever, not all are intended for my readership.

I've made a decision to start to try selling some of my craft bits, and it has been suggested that a blog is a good way to get a presence, so I am relenting (I'm still not going on facebook or twitter, just so's you know!).

I've been trying to think about what I want my blog to be. I kind of almost want it to be the antithesis of the smug, perfect, yummy mummy type blogs. There will never be poncey pictures of flower arrangements on my dining room table (in fact the fewer pictures of my house the better really. These high mega pixel cameras really show up the dirt!).

Even from a crafting perspective, I have always maintained that I am more optimistic than accomplished at what I do. It doesn't always look good but I like to dive on in. It's also not going to be a full time thing, I am going back to work in a few weeks (so great time to be doing this then!). I am always jealous of these people who can spent their whole days making things and displaying them nicely. So I am going to be a harried, working mother of two young children, making things, learning to blog, with a little bit of feminism and opinion thrown in.

I am under no illusions that in doing this I am essentially becoming an attention whore (in fact Moomininthecorner suggested that as the name of my blog, but I want my mother to be able to read it!). I'm ok with that, as long as I am not pretending otherwise.

Now, here is where I need your help. Where do I start? I need a brand name, and ethos, any tips, what you would/wouldn't like to see. I have been on a few, mainly craft, blogs so I get the gist, but am just looking for some inspiration. Can you help?

Ideas I have for names so far are:

Attention Whore or Attention Ho'
The Woolly Breast (see my profile pics!)
Dilly Tante

but they aren't great.

butterflyexperience Tue 05-Jul-11 15:37:57

Take a look at the links on my blog lots of them are of the crafty type.

[[http://www.Thebutterflyexperience.wordpress.com

Blogs are very personal so advising you on a title is very difficult without knowing you or what how you want your blog represented.

Are you contemporary or traditional craft?
Are you selling on etsy or folksy?

Do you know you can use blogger or wordpress to start blogging?

Tee2072 Tue 05-Jul-11 15:41:07

I would highly recommend you use Wordpress. I know nothing about Blogger but have heard nothing but horrible things about it!

As for a name...I agree with Butterfly hard to know without knowing you. I would be really surprised if there wasn't already a blog called Attention Whore!

ShirleyKnot Tue 05-Jul-11 15:41:25

I'd be wary about using the name Attention Whore TBH grin

I'm a bit confused about how you are planning on using your blog - is it to primarily link through to an etsy page or similar? Or are you planning on using it as a...diary/how-to/humourous look at what you do?

Bumperlicioso Tue 05-Jul-11 20:21:45

Ok, I've picked a name, just need to 'brand' it now. Have signed up to Wordpress, thanks for the tip (won't mention it as I think I am going to try and keep it separate for now, it's not Attention Whore though grin).

Shirley, I'm not sure. It'll be mainly craft related I think, stuff I want to sell, show off and stuff that I like, interspersed with random musings.

ShirleyKnot Tue 05-Jul-11 20:34:01

Ah right, I started off with the idea for a quite specific blog, but I have gone WAAAY off tangent TBH and now just seem to post a load of old stream of conciousness with the odd post about the thing I'm meant to be blogging about. grin

Tee2072 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:35:56

And she's hysterically funny when she does it! grin

ShirleyKnot Tue 05-Jul-11 20:37:13

I love you Tee. Honest to god I doooooo!

Tee2072 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:41:09

Are you feeling better? Have you turned into a pringle?

ShirleyKnot Tue 05-Jul-11 20:44:28

I am MUCH better this evening, THANK GOD and have eschewed the pringles for salad and am writing a new post.

I'm as salty as ever though! HA HA ha ha <ahem>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now