Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Empty nesting - how do you cope?

(6 Posts)
Soozisoo59 Sat 25-Jun-11 23:23:30

My son has just finished uni and we transported him and all his stuff to London yesterday to start a new job and a new life. It feels like my world is upside down at the moment, hubby and I are rowing - mostly about who is the most upset! My daughter has two years before she finishes uni, although I don't think she will move as far away but I'm feeling so fed up and miserable - I feel like I have lost my son and I know I'm being stupid as he's only at the end of the phone or text. Even walking into his bedroom sets me off. Tell me to pull myself together someone please :-(

madmother1 Sun 26-Jun-11 18:04:49

Look at it as a way of liberating yourself. Try going out on a regular date with your husband, doing different things. I know it is awful when our little ones fly the next but you need to have a bit of 'grieving' time then sort yourself out!!! Try a new hobby, something you've always wanted to do. Go on holiday - invite old friends round for dinner, you must keep yourself busy with your own life. It will get better. Now go fix a lovely dinner for you both, sit in the garden and drink some wine - on this lovely evening -relax and enjoy yourselves.x

Soozisoo59 Sun 26-Jun-11 20:21:04

Thanks madmother, I thought I'd got over him flying the nest when he went to uni, just surprised how strong my feeling were all over again. Happier now as he's contacted us letting us know he's having a great time and we've been making plans for when he's home for grad week. Thanks for your advice, will certainly take up some of the suggestions xx

Nanniejo Wed 29-Jun-11 15:39:56

Sorry you are finding it hard. I am already starting to feel the empty nest syndrome and my two teenagers are still at home. It's just that they don't keep me busy anymore as they are pretty much independant, so having more time on my hands has made me realise that I need to get out and find a job. Not easy after all these years (29 since I worked full-time) but here it goes- and yes- before they physically leave the nest! It does feel liberating but also scary.

mumof3teens Sat 16-Jul-11 17:07:18

Glad it's not just me. Have literally just waved goodbye to DS1 (makes me cry just typing that). He starts his F1 job on Monday and is moving to a lovely house with three friends. I am very happy for him - just sad at the end of an era. Tried really hard not to cry in front of him ;) We have his graduation on Wednesday to look forward to, so I know I will see him soon and he has been away at uni for 5 years for heavens sake! Always knew he was coming home in the hols though. DS2 finished uni for summer yesterday thankfully. DS3 interrailing for a month at the mo, and hopefully will start uni in September (really empty nest then though....).

exoticfruits Sat 16-Jul-11 17:25:06

I think that it helps when you have a big age gap. When my DC1 did it I still had a DC at primary school so by the time they get there you are actually looking forward to it. Sorry not a lot of help! It is amazing how fast the time goes from babyhood. A time to start new things for you-it may the end of an era but it is the start of a new one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now