Talk

Advanced search

Braxton Hicks at 5 weeks?

(12 Posts)
pinkjumper1 Sat 12-Jan-13 19:49:51

I'm only 5 weeks pregnant but I'm already feeling quite strong but not painful Braxton Hicks contractions. Is this possible or is it a bad sign?

OP’s posts: |
MammaTJ Sat 12-Jan-13 20:14:27

I think you need to get checked out ASAP. Sorry but that is not a good sign. I so hate having to say that, been through it myself.

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Sat 12-Jan-13 20:17:02

sad You need to get checked out at epu, you shouldn't be getting braxton hicks at all yet.
It be just stretching pains but please get checked op x

pinkjumper1 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:22:16

Thanks for your messages. I've had a bad feeling about this pregnancy since 4 days after I found out. Had a mc in October and I was hoping for better luck this time.

happy2bhomely Sat 12-Jan-13 20:26:23

I had this! I'm 20 weeks preg with dc 5 and the braxton hicks have started earlier each time.

They started at 6 weeks this time. Not cramps, definite tightenings that made my heart flutter. I recognised them as braxton hicks straight away. I got them every 20 minutes until 12 weeks. I get them now when I'm walking, and they ease off if I rest.

With dc 4 they started at 14 weeks and my midwife told me it was impossible-clearly I'm a medical marvelhmm

Some people don't get them or don't notice them. By the time I reach 34 weeks mine get so frequent and strong that they leave me breathless, but they are still painless.

I've been advised that I have an irritable uterus and it is nothing to worry about. I have 4 healthy children all born at term after straightforward deliveries. Of course, if you are concerned you should always speak to a midwife.

MammaTJ Sat 12-Jan-13 20:30:03

happy it is great that it all worked out for you, but the OP still needs checking ASAP!! I am not going to frighten her by sharinf my not so positive stories but suffice to say I would rest easier knowing she had been checked and found to be ok.

happy2bhomely Sat 12-Jan-13 20:36:24

Of course! I did say that if she is at all concerned she should always speak to a midwife. The trouble is, at 5 weeks it is just a waiting game, because a scan won't show very much. Our epu won't even offer scans until 6 weeks.

I just wanted to offer some reassurance that's all.

Op, please always seek medical advice if you are worried.

pinkjumper1 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:57:27

Just spoken to emergency doctor who said that it is probably due to hormonal changes and ligaments stretching and they would only see me if I had a lot of pain or bleeding. Will have to wait and see.

pinkjumper1 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:01:11

Thanks for sharing your story happy. I know there's nothing anyone could do about it so I should try not to worry. Hopefully I'll start getting some proper symptoms soon. Can't believe I'm looking forward to morning sickness! It lasted till 20 weeks last time.

happy2bhomely Sat 12-Jan-13 22:21:06

Fingers crossed for you op. I know how worrying it can be. I've had two lots of unexplained bleeding so far, and I'm only just beginning to relax a little. I hope you have a good outcome, with only a reassuring amount of sickness!

pinkjumper1 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:10:08

Not a happy outcome to this one I'm afraid. Had a scan which showed the baby stopped developing a couple of weeks ago. Now I have to wait 2 weeks in case I've got my dates wrong but I know when I ovulated so it's back to square one again...

lew85x Fri 25-Oct-19 20:11:45

Scared 5 weeks and had two Braxton hicks moments is this danger arising

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in