Advanced search

Charleypop's Pod's popped and finally home!!!

(43 Posts)
charleypops Mon 04-Jul-05 21:53:37

Phew, I thought I'd never get chance to post here - mad isn't it?!
Arlo, (born at 09.30ish on Wed 22nd June at 6lbs 9.5oz) and I finally came home from hospital on thursday evening after 8 days in SCBU. I haven't had time to read through the June thread, but I have been trying to keep Lippy updated by text and I think she's very kindly been posting snippets for me.

Here are the gory details (bit long, sorry):

00.30 on Wednesday morning waters broke, started contracting immediately. Pottered around the house, had a shower etc. I was expecting 12 hours or more of this, but as they seemed to be coming very frequently, I called the ward after about an hour. They told me to wait a bit longer as it seemed a bit early to come in. I waited another hour then, worried that I must have a very low pain threshold, and they'd send me home, called them to say I was definitely coming in anyway.

Got to the hospital at 03.00ish and to everyone's suprise discovered I was 5cm dilated so proceeded with labour. The midwife read my birthplan which went something like this:

No intervention if at all possible
Might want birth pool
Definitely to be moving and upright or on all fours
Music, subdued lighting
Gas and air only, unless I'm in a lot of pain in which case would like a mobile epidural
Don't want umbilical cord clamping for 2 mins
Want to try breastfeeding within first hour
Home as soon as possible

The gas and air thingy wasn't working properly so I didn't use it for ages, and after a while I asked if I could possibly have an epidural please but after about 2 and a half hours when I began getting the pushing contractions, the mw replaced it for me. That helped a miniscule bit. Anyway, the mw was monitoring the heart rate intermittently and discovered after I had been pushing for nearly two hours that it had dropped right down to 50. There was talk of getting the doctor. I continued pushing as hard as I could for about another half hour. Pod just wasn't moving anywhere. The mws called for the doc then changed shift, the new mws took me straight to another room and put me in stirrups and on all kinds of monitors whilst we waited for a doctor. The doctors were also changing shift unfortunately, so in the end I had to wait for about an hour trying "not to push" (!) Eventually she arrived, had a look at me and I was taken straight to theatre. Another wait for the anaesthetist, who, after faffing around asking me questions and organising stuff for what seemed like an eternitiy gave me a spinal block. My goodness, the relief!! But how weird. The strangest experience I have ever had by a long way - I saw legs that were apparently mine being being lifted into position, then saw the doctor's face contort and break into sweat as with all her strength she tugged poor Pod out with the ventouse. Then this wet purple creature was placed on my chest for a millisecond before being whisked away. The cord had been cut immediately. He was suddenly surrounded by lots of doctors and nurses in the corner of the room and I could hear this horrible gurgling noise as they tried to resucitate him. I could hear poor dp puking his guts up outside the door. So much for my planned birth!

Anyway, he was taken straight to the Special Care Baby Unit. I was put in a room by myself, I told dp to stay with Pod, so I spent a very odd 6 hours mainly on my own not really knowing what was going on and not knowing how to feel, certainly not feeling like I'd just had a baby. I must've been very spaced out. Eventually one of the nurses offered to take me to see him in a wheelchair. As we were getting ready to go, another nurse came and told us we would have to wait a bit longer and took the wheelchair away. I was told Pod was being seen by the doctors and to go a bit later. After a total of about 7 hours I was taken to see him (can't remember where dp was at this point) Discovered that just as I was getting ready to go and see him he'd had a "cycling" fit which had thrown everyone into a panic. Poor little mite was hooked up to everything and in an incubator in High Dependency. All a bit of daze from then for a while to be honest, but I remember he had loads of fits in his first 36 hours or so.

Staff were amazing and let me stay with him all the time. But it was hell. The consultants were so non-committal about prognosis when I'd never needed answers more in my life. My mind was being pulled into some very dark places and it was a monumental effort to steer away from them. I was ok when I was with him, I automatically found strength for him, but it was a long and lonely corridor leading from scbu back to my ward, full of loved up mums with their spanking new babes, balloons and visitors. Thank goodness, after those first 36 hours, Pod, now Arlo, stopped fitting and seemed a lot better, we took his feeding tube out and I was able to feed him with a bottle. He slept almost solidly for a couple of days and every day since then he's been making a marked improvement. Arlo has been holding things together better than any of us. He's done so well that he was able to come home on Thursday evening, which is loads sooner than anticipated. I'm giving him his medication which he'll be on for a couple of months and he's now doing all the things that babies do. He's beautiful and we're totally in love with him.

popsycal Mon 04-Jul-05 21:56:50

Oh my goodness
What an scary time for you all
Hope that life can be more normal now and you can get to know your little baby


starlover Mon 04-Jul-05 21:57:07

wow.... what a story! i am so sorry you had such a scary time... but so glad you have Arlo! (very cool name btw)

well done all of you!

Angeliz Mon 04-Jul-05 22:01:06


Fantastic name and even though it wasn't the birth you'd planned, you sound totally loved up with your boy++

Just love that name!

Puff Mon 04-Jul-05 22:04:44

I like his name .

Glad you are all home .

Yorkiegirl Mon 04-Jul-05 22:07:24

Message withdrawn

MarsLady Mon 04-Jul-05 22:08:59


Aero Mon 04-Jul-05 22:11:32

Congratulations, and what a cool name - I love that - never heard it before, but it's a great name.

kama Mon 04-Jul-05 22:12:30

Message withdrawn

MrsWednesday Mon 04-Jul-05 22:15:52

Charleypops, it sounds like a very tough experience, but I'm so pleased you are now at home with Arlo. Fantastic name by the way.

Brilliant to hear from you, we've all been thinking about you, your dp and your little boy.x

moondog Mon 04-Jul-05 22:16:56

Poor you. What a horrid scary time you must have had! Glad everything is resolved now though.

Congatulations,and another thums up for the name.
Are you an Arlo Guthrie fan?

lockets Mon 04-Jul-05 22:18:27

Message withdrawn

tribpot Mon 04-Jul-05 22:22:07

Lovely to hear from you Charley and welcome to little Arlo. Our dses share a birthday although I was a bit earlier than you, 0157 Glad he's home and doing so well. xxx

bubbaloo Mon 04-Jul-05 22:23:08

congratulations charlie-so glad your'e finally home with arlo.

so much for your birth plan-mine also went out the window.glad arlo is making good progress and looking forward to seeing you on the post natal thread.xx

Fimbo Mon 04-Jul-05 22:24:53

What a terrible time you had, but I bet it was worth it!!! . Congratulations and what a lovely unusual name.

rodeo1 Mon 04-Jul-05 22:26:22

Oh this is the first birth story to make me cry. Must have been terrible for you and your dp. So glad everything is well now. Congratulations! x x x

uwila Mon 04-Jul-05 22:36:46

Congratulations, Charley. I've been wondering how you guys are. So glad you are both home and well now.

When do I get to meet the little man?!?!?!

uwila Mon 04-Jul-05 22:36:48

Congratulations, Charley. I've been wondering how you guys are. So glad you are both home and well now.

When do I get to meet the little man?!?!?!

coppertop Mon 04-Jul-05 22:41:32

Congratulations! Best wishes to you and little Arlo.

mears Mon 04-Jul-05 22:44:44

congratulations charleypops Sorry to read of the difficult time you had. It is so horrible to have just given birth and have no baby with you - my DS3 was preterm and was whisked away and put on a ventilator. All those trips to SCBU make you fit! Hope Arlo continues to do well

Miaou Mon 04-Jul-05 23:01:03

Congratulations charleypops, you sound remarkably together given what you have just been through. All the best to you, Arlo and dh, hope he continues to improve!

hub2dee Tue 05-Jul-05 07:46:09

cp - you must have been scared totally witless. Obviously dp was too. I presume all the faffing and shift changing did absolutely nothing to help you nor Arlo and I am sorry if all these delays distressed him so much. That's so utterly crap. I bet you still feel 100% odd about it all.

I am relieved to read about the good SCBU care little Arlo received and how he was nursed through his fits, and I am relieved he responded well and is now back home with mum and dad.

Congratulations on your birth. Will e-mail later.


JonahB Tue 05-Jul-05 07:57:20

Congratulations to you Charley, sounds like you and the Charley family have really been through it! So pleased that you, DP and your beautiful boy are finally home now. Love the name BTW

eastyorksmum Tue 05-Jul-05 09:11:00

Congratulations charley im so sorry you had such an experience its lovely to see all is well now and you have have your lovely baby boy love to Arlo what a lovely name xxxxxxxxxxxx

Lizzylou Tue 05-Jul-05 09:21:37

Congratulations to all 3 of you, what an ordeal, I'm pleased that you have your cherished little boy home now safe and sound...a really lovely name too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: