Talk

Advanced search

Hangingbellyofbabylon's baby girl is here!

(9 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Wed 02-Sep-09 23:56:40

Baby Sarah arrived 31st August at 11.36am - weighing in at 8lb 7oz which is pretty impressive for 37+5 days! smile.

Dd2's birth was very traumatic, she arrived at 35 weeks by emergency section and due to problems at birth, has Cerebral Palsy. As her carer I was really worried about the possibility of having another section as I knew it would make caring for dd2 impossible. I was warned against trying for a vbac but I did my research, and was very lucky indeed.

Woke up at around 3am Monday morning with contractions, arrived at hospital around 5am. Taken to high risk unit and the midwife started wheeling in all of the monitoring equipment. We explained that we didn't want continuous fetal monitoring and why, we were really surprised that the midwife listened to my wishes and supported us in every way. I was able to move freely and was monitored every 15 mins or so. At this point I had the Tens machine on which helped a lot. As things progressed I also had Entonox which was awesome grin. I personally would like a home supply of the stuff just for every day use!

I moved on to the bed on all fours as labour progressed and at this point a doctor arrived and told me that I had two options - continuous fetal monitoring or breaking the waters to put a monitor on her head. I was right in the middle of a contraction at this point and just refused point blank. I didn't want continuous monitoring as it is always hard to find a trace on me and it would have meant me lying flat on my back and not being able to move.

About 10 mins after the cheeky doctor incident I was ready to push - and also ready to give up. I can't begin to describe the pain and at this point I was starting to wonder if a vbac had been the right idea blush. Luckily I was only pushing for 9 minutes before my lovely girl arrived! I somehow managed not to need stitches, although I did have a little tear. My little lovely was breastfeeding 10 mins after the birth and I was up and having a shower within an hour of the birth.

I was blessed with two lovely midwives who supported me every step of the way and gave me the chance to achieve my VBAC, which felt like a real honour.

I feel very lucky indeed smile. I was not the ideal vbac candidate - overweight, blood pressure not good, previous problems but I did it!!

cathcat Wed 02-Sep-09 23:58:50

Ahh Congratulations, glad you got the birth you wanted. Welcome to Sarah.

newspaperdelivery Thu 03-Sep-09 00:58:08

oh wow. Wow. Many many congratulations. I'm sure Sarah is a wonderful beautiful baby and it's so good you have the pure strong satisfaction of your positive birthing experience.

Fab.

[The pain is really something else isn't it?I'm glad it was relatively fleeting and your body flowed through the process in such a way]

HURRAH!

memoo Thu 03-Sep-09 03:48:04

Aw well done, I'm so glad your birth went so well. Sarah is a beautiful name

blinder Thu 03-Sep-09 11:58:30

well done you for standing your ground! and many congratulations!

AprilMeadow Fri 04-Sep-09 09:20:38

Congratulations HangingBelly grin Impressive weight and lovely name. So pleased that you got the birth you wanted and that all went well x

Nyrrem Sat 19-Sep-09 16:35:48

Congratulations Hanging and family!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah is a lovely name. Hope it is all still going along well.

I nearly missed this as I rarely venture out of SN. So very glad the VBac worked out for you.

Plonker Sat 19-Sep-09 16:39:36

Ahhh congratulations!! ...and what a lovely lovely name x

mummylin2495 Mon 21-Sep-09 16:28:07

congratulations,i am now going to be keeping my eye out for a mum with a new baby and two little girls !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now