Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Roobie's Express Delivery

(28 Posts)
Roobie Mon 25-Apr-05 14:36:04

Baby Alexander Luke (8lb 10 oz) decided to make an appearance on Monday 18th April at 4.50pm - he was in such a hurry to come out that I didn't even make it to the hospital!

A short resume of the day's events:

Mon am - although it was my due date no signs of any action so took dd to nursery and then responded rather curtly to a couple of "anything to report?" emails from the due date enquirers!

Mon lunchtime - went into town for lunch with a friend. By then was vaguely aware of some mild period type pains but merely thought that at the very best this could be the start of a long process.

2pm - dropped off back home by friend
2.15pm - first proper contraction followed by another 5 minutes later and then another etc... Called dh at work in London.

3.15pm - dh arrives home. Contractions now strong and 2 mins apart but am reasonably comfortable lying on the sofa with my tens machine on. Call parents and tell them to come round to get dd's overnight stuff and then pick her up from nursery and take her home to their place. Assume I will be labouring for several hours yet and it will all happen sometime that evening at the earliest.

4pm - am lying on bed when suddenly lose track of timing contractions and they start coming thick and fast. Hobble through to living room and tell dh that we'd better go. He calls labour ward and while on the phone my waters break and I get a strong urge to push. Dh told that we are not to go anywhere and he is to call an ambulance. Meanwhile the midwifes are being paged and are on their way.

To spare our cream carpets I go and lie on bathroom floor where it swiftly dawns on me that I am actually going to push the baby out any minute! Dh taking instructions from midwife but as phone won't stretch to bathroom he goes to get our neighbour (lovely woman but only a nodding acquaintance)who relays instructions to me and dh in the bathroom.

Although it did hurt like hell I felt strangely calm and in control and after a few pushes I could feel the head about to crown and duly panted rather than pushed and out it popped (normally squeamish dh says he will forever have the image of his head sticking out with his little face looking at him!!). Dh then pulled the rest of him out... he was a tad blue as the cord was around his neck but, as instructed over the phone, mananged to slip his finger between the cord and his neck and he fortunately cried straight away.

4.50pm - seconds after the delivery the midwifes arrived followed by the ambulance. Everything fine (apgar 9) and ambulance sent away after the placenta was delivered. No stitches required!!

Needless to say we were both rather shocked at the speed of it all but it was absolutely lovely to end up at home. My parents turned up about 20 minutes after he was born expecting me to be in early labour only to be greeted by their new grandson! My dad then went to fetch dd whose surprise and delight at her new brother was gorgeous to watch.

Anyway, Alexander is absolutely gorgeous and although only a week old he seems really mellow and placid (something to do with being a quick delivery and therefore less birth trauma to get over I'm told..). I feel really lucky that things turned out the way they did.

NomDePlume Mon 25-Apr-05 14:36:27

Fabulous

MarsLady Mon 25-Apr-05 14:37:22

Congratulations

hunkermunker Mon 25-Apr-05 14:38:19

Oh wow! Congratulations and welcome to the world, Alexander!

lockets Mon 25-Apr-05 14:41:38

Message withdrawn

Marina Mon 25-Apr-05 14:43:32

Amazing story Roobie, many congratulations to you all Welcome little Alexander!

Tinker Mon 25-Apr-05 14:43:48

Oh what a fantastic story

jessicasmummy Mon 25-Apr-05 14:44:14

Many congratulations and welcome Alexander!

HandbagAddiction Mon 25-Apr-05 14:44:37

What an amazing story. Congratulations!

SaintGeorge Mon 25-Apr-05 14:45:07

Congratulations and a big welcome to Alexander (brilliant name, I've got an Alexander )

Yorkiegirl Mon 25-Apr-05 14:48:08

Message withdrawn

leander Mon 25-Apr-05 16:45:15

WOW what an amazing birth story, well done Roobie and Mr Roobie and welcome Alexander xxxx

motherinferior Mon 25-Apr-05 17:01:53

FABBBB!!!

Merlin Mon 25-Apr-05 18:09:57

Brilliant story Roobie - love your husband's memory of Alexander's little face looking at him!!

WideWebWitch Mon 25-Apr-05 21:07:24

OMG, what a story, congratulations to you and your dh and at the only nodding acquaintance of a neighbour!

motherpeculiar Tue 26-Apr-05 11:59:36

oh WELL DONE. That sounds fab and you sound as though you were really calm, both (all three) of you.Congratulations. Huge hello to Alexander

miranda2 Tue 26-Apr-05 12:12:19

Fantastic! What an amazing experience. Congratulations to you all.

lunarx Tue 26-Apr-05 12:47:03

amazing story!! congratulations!!!!!!!!!

golds Tue 26-Apr-05 12:53:43

lovely story, congratulations and welcome Alexander x

emmatmg Tue 26-Apr-05 13:21:05

Roobie, your birth story with Alexander is almost an exact copy of mine with DS2, the contractions and their pattern in particular are identical.

I managed to wait/slow it down until the paramedics arrived though, if I hadn't DS1 would have delivered his little bruv!

Huge congratulations and enjoy telling the birth story to anyone who'll listen. I still do nearly 4 yrs on.

Oh and if you go on to have another baby the midwives will talk you into doing it a home again. Just so you know

mummydreamer Tue 26-Apr-05 15:02:24

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!!!
Well done to Mum and Dad and welcome baby Alexander x

leggymamba Wed 27-Apr-05 10:25:16

Wow - great birth story. Congratulations to you and Alexander

hellomama Wed 27-Apr-05 10:32:21

that is such a fabulous birth story! it has really brightened up my day today! hope that you're all doing well and enjoying the new family member!

zippy539 Wed 27-Apr-05 10:41:17

Roobie - what a fabulous story! Many congratulations to you all and welcome to Alexander

acnebride Wed 27-Apr-05 10:44:23

amazing, love him arriving just in time for grandparents and dd! what an organised baby. congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now