Talk

Advanced search

A little Peculiar!

(37 Posts)
motherpeculiar Thu 14-Apr-05 09:57:10

Delighted to say that Esther Una came to join the Peculiars last Friday 8th April. She arrived at exactly 1pm at home in a hastily filled birth pool. She weighed 9lb 15oz (and is currently wearing 3-6 month babygrows ).

Full details below (especially for the other April mums/mums to be ). Turned out to be a very long story (for a fairly short labour) - sorry. A positive story for anyone who had a long first labour or back to back presentation though. My first labour with DD1 took 4 days from waters breaking to delivery and included oxytocin drip, epidural and damaged back. So I was feeling a bit terrified (I can finally admit this!). OPted for home birth to try to achieve continuity of care with mws, and to try to avoid epidural. In my heart of hearts I thought I'd end up in hospital with an epi but hoped having a mw I knew there would help a lot. Anyway - here's what happened this time:

Thurs 10am - midwife came and did sweep, said I was 2cm dilated and everything was nice and stretchy and ready to go. Baby still lying back to back. I try not to get nervous about this. Made an appt with hospital for this week to discuss induction but said she doubted I would need it.
Thurs 1pm - went for lovely reflexology session. Then a walk and wander around the shops in EAst Dulwich.
Friday 3am - woke in bed with severe cramps. Knew something was happening, but no contractions. Stuck the tens machine on, wedged myself in the bed with hot water bottles and went back to sleep (still can't believe I managed to do that!)
7.30am - woke up when DD1 arrived in bedroom. Got up to give her breakfast - felt slight contractions but nothing major - cramps still hanging around.
8am - called midwife - mostly to ask whether we should get the birth pool which was at that stage somewhere in East Dulwich (the midwife practice loan out 2 pools and I had only got on their list earlier that week when we realised my bith pool in a box had a slow puncture). Told her the contractions were about 2 in ten and fairly regular. She said we'd be having a baby that day and to get and fill pool. She asked me to call back when contractions stronger, more regular.
8.05am Told DH to orgainise collection of pool.
8.06am Exploded at DH when he suggested waiting til 9am to ring the people who currently had the pool as he thought it was a bit early to disturb them. Knew I must be in labour!
8.45 DH heads off to collect pool and drop DD1 off with friends for the day. I tidy the kitchen. Time contractions, seem to be coming 1 in 10 or so and lasting 45 secs or so. Fairly easy to deal with so continue with kitchen. Don't time every contraction as I found that depressing with DD1 as they kept changing rythm so just build up a vague picture of what's happening in between unloading dishwasher. Texted my sister to tell her things kicking off and to expect some news within 3 or 4 days.
10.00am DH arrives back with pool and starts building it after he has his coffee.
10.30am realise DH hadn't looked at instructions for pool so it needs to be rebuilt
10.45am page midwife to say vaguely that contractions feel stronger and more regular and she might want to pop over to check things out.
11am Midwife arrives. Contractions feeling a lot stronger in the last ten minutes, so am kneeling on ground leaning on birth ball when she arrives.
She reckons contractions good and regular and does internal to establish I am 4 cm dilated but that that's fine. She decides to hang around. I think she is here for the long haul.
11.30am Contractions very strong. Coming 1 in 2 and lasting a minute. Still have tens machine on and focussing hard on breathing. MOving around between contractions. About ten inches of water in pool. I begin to despair I'll ever get in it.
12.10pm a bit of puking going on
12.20pm feel a big pop in my tummy and a gush of water (on the good cushions too!)
12.25pm contractions getting unbearable - decide to tell everyone it is all off and I want to go to hospital for an epidural after all. DH pops me a homeopathic pill and mw wonders if I am feeling an urge to push. I had thought I needed a poo and was a bit worried about the living room rug as I didn't think I could make it to the bathroom . Turns out it was transition.
12.30pm Pool now full but mw thinks too hot. No-one has a thermometer to check. I need to get in that pool.
12.40pm mw takes pity on my plight and tells me I can get in the pool anyway. Rip off the tens machine and hop in. DH turns on the naff whale music. I close my eyes and try to pretend I am in the pacific. It's sooooo nice.
Pushing now with every contraction. Not as sore as I expected. I think the water really helped with this.
Head is born about 12.59am and body with a couple of pushes (and a well timed mw yank!)
1pm Open my eyes to see the beautiful girl. 1.01pm Start to cry.

1.30pm deliver pacenta sitting on the loo. MW examines me after, no tears. It's a miracle!

In so far as the most excruciating experience can be it was really wonderful. And so different to DD1's birth I still can't believe it.

JoolsToo Thu 14-Apr-05 09:58:06

well done and congratulations - welcome Esther

Cadbury Thu 14-Apr-05 10:04:00

Congratulations! What an incredible story! and as for Esthers size - ouch!
Beautiful name by the way!

littlerach Thu 14-Apr-05 10:15:06

Congratulations and what a lovely story.

Pidge Thu 14-Apr-05 10:15:33

Fantastic story - well done you

Just had my own home birth in a pool after a 3 day first labour (posterior baby) - so I know how triumphant you feel. (I also have two girls, and live in E. Dulwich, how spooky is that - maybe I'll bump into you on Lordship Lane!)

FastasleepTheInsomniac Thu 14-Apr-05 10:16:10

Well done, amazed you could pop her out and not tear welcome to little Esther

Roobie Thu 14-Apr-05 10:16:13

Hi, MP - I absolutely love your choice of name....clearly well worth the extra few days thought! Your story is a great testimony to the benefits of a home birth (am even more jealous now although I'm not sure dh could cope with too many body fluids all over the axminster etc grrrr...).
Congratulations!

hunkersneakymunker Thu 14-Apr-05 10:19:32

Congratulations! Welcome to the world, Esther Una

What a wonderful birth story - I'm so glad you had a better time than with DD1. LOL at "on the good cushions too!"

marthamoo Thu 14-Apr-05 10:20:23

Congratulations to the Family Peculiar

Esther is such a beautiful name - enjoy her!

lockets Thu 14-Apr-05 10:23:35

Message withdrawn

bonym Thu 14-Apr-05 13:36:48

Congratulations - great birth story. Don't worry about the cushions - cheaper to replace than the living room carpet (which we're going to have to do after I gave birth on the only bit not covered with towels/ plastic etc! )

fishie Thu 14-Apr-05 14:31:32

congratulations and welcome to esther. that sounds amazing, i'm so pleased for you. great to hear all the detail too.

Marina Thu 14-Apr-05 14:34:05

What a lovely story, congratulations Motherpeculiar! and welcome to Esther too

NomDePlume Thu 14-Apr-05 14:34:56

WOW ! That's quite a birth story

Congratulations on your little girl.

colditz Thu 14-Apr-05 14:50:15

Ahhh, congratulations, thats lovely!

motherinferior Thu 14-Apr-05 14:57:34

MP, I'm SO pleased for you - sounds VERY like my second birth, and you sum it up perfectly as excruciating yet wonderful!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

leggymamba Thu 14-Apr-05 16:02:42

Congratulations to you - you've given me hope that a second large baby can be a good experience.

leander Thu 14-Apr-05 16:09:03

Wow Mp!! that announcement was well worth the wait.Its a lovely name you have decided on and I still cant get over the size of the baby and all this and no stitches you are amazing.Did you know you were having a big baby? xxxxx

Gem13 Thu 14-Apr-05 16:20:42

Congratulations to you all and welcome to Esther Una

I loved the line - 10.00am DH arrives back with pool and starts building it after he has his coffee. !

fisil Thu 14-Apr-05 16:27:37

Congratulations!

motherpeculiar Thu 14-Apr-05 16:28:36

awh - thanks everyone for your lovely comments.

Pidge - glad to hear about your good experience. We should getogether some time since we are so close.

Bonym - sorry to hear about your carpet - typical eh. Still, bet it was worth it to have babe at home.

funnily enough the mw had predicted a bigger baby than DD1, who was 8lbs. I tried not to think about it too much and actually posted on the april thread that as long as babe was under 10lbs I was sure i could cope (lies, all lies, but that positive thinking lark had obviously got me completely in its grip).Esther obviously heard me, weighing in 1oz under my self-prescribed threshold - amazing eh? can't believe no tears, but i did take the pushing quite slow, tried to just go with my body rather than pushing for all i was worth iykwim. i guess being in the water must have really helped with thataspect of things though, as it made everything very relaxed.

off to enjoy my beautiful girl now

bran Thu 14-Apr-05 18:18:45

Congratulations MP .

Prufrock Thu 14-Apr-05 19:54:30

Congratulation mp - what a wonderful birth story

Enid Thu 14-Apr-05 20:04:45

what a lovely lovely story and I love the name, congratulations x E

emmatmg Thu 14-Apr-05 20:07:27

Excellent birth story MP.

Love the minutes by minute account

Congratulations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now