Talk

Advanced search

Pidge's baby finally arrives in a hurry

(37 Posts)
Pidge Thu 10-Mar-05 21:36:35

Iris Caitlin arrived at 5.45am on March 9th, weighing 8lb 4oz and is utterly gorgeous and a delight!

Now I know you all love the details, so here's our story:

Getting to 6 days overdue was no surprise given my dd was 8 days late. So I had a routine midwife's appointment and she booked me in for a post-dates clinic later this week, but said she reckoned I wouldn't need the appointment. Sure enough later that afternoon my waters broke and we got ready for action. We decided to get an early night and some rest before things kicked off, so retired at 9pm only for the contractions to start up every 10 minutes at 9.30pm. Since my dp had been off work sick for the last fortnight with a nasty virus I was a bit worried about him keeling over half way through the labour, so I banished him to the guest room to get some sleep whilst I did the early stages on my own.

Things were pretty manageable - very painful contractions, but spaced at 10 minute intervals and in between I just lay in bed and rested. With my dd this bit went on for 48 hours, so I was really prepared for the long haul, and the midwife had said to me not to phone during the "gentle, early stages" but to wait till things really kicked off. Unfortunately I didn't get any warning of things ramping up - I went through 6 hours of manageable contractions at 10 minutes intervals to suddenly unbearable contractions coming every minute at 4am. Dp was woken by my hollering, and we got on the phone to the homebirth team. In hindsight I was now already fully dilated and going through transition, as I was throwing up and screaming uncontrollably whilst dp was on the phone, but I didn't realise what was going on. I just wanted to be elsewhere! The midwife said she would come immediately and afterwards said she could tell from the noise I was making that things were very far progressed.

At this point we moved downstairs and dp started filling our birth pool, in between being yelled at by me to HELP, and curses as to whose dumb idea it had been to have a homebirth, and where were the midwives!! The contractions were incredible - and I was making enough noise to wake the entire street. At this point with my dd I'd been under a full epidural, so I didn't realise for ages what was going on - but after about half an hour I suddenly realised I could feel the baby and that I was pushing. Dp got back on the phone to tell the midwives to get a shift on and the first midwife arrived at 5am. Finally the pool was filled and I leapt in. I guess I was only in there 20 minutes - but it was well worth it - it relaxed me enough to let me push properly and get in a good position. I'd planned on using gas and air as well, and the midwife and dp were fiddling around trying to open the cannister, but I was shouting to leave it as it was too late. The second midwife arrived with minutes to spare. And in just a few pushes, Iris was born. I held her under the water and then brought her to the surface. She was so calm and quiet, I was worried, but they kept assuring me she was fine, and sure enough she was. It was quite a while before we figured out she was a girl, because I was scared to let go and have a look in case I dropped her back under the water!

There were some magical calm minutes holding my little girl in the water, then I got out to deliver the placenta. I then had a massive and scary shaking fit, which the midwives said was probably shock because things had happened so fast. It took about an hour to get over it, at which point they started to stitch me up. That's when I got my first puff of gas and air and reflected how nice that would have been during the labour. It was around 7.15am, and this was when my dd woke up, so she was shown the new baby by dp whilst I was stitched. She was offered the chance of seeing mummy or having toast, and opted for the latter! But was thrilled with the baby, and came to see us both for a goodbye kiss before exictedly setting off for her childminder, leaving me and dp to a relaxing day getting to know our new daughter.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 10-Mar-05 21:38:54

wow! Congratulations welcome Caitlin

Tipex Thu 10-Mar-05 21:40:23

Oh Pidge thats a fantastic story and what a beautiful name you've chosen. Enjoy your new arrival. xx

Flossam Thu 10-Mar-05 21:41:47

That is such a lovely birth story! Huge congratulations. Welcome Iris!

pupuce Thu 10-Mar-05 22:00:01

Brilliant - so 2 very good home water birth in 24 hours.... BRILLANT !!!!
Glad it went so well. Hope Iris is feeding well now

Hulababy Thu 10-Mar-05 22:00:44

Congratulations and welcome to Iris Caitlin

hoxtonchick Thu 10-Mar-05 22:06:32

what a great story. congratulations .

cat82 Thu 10-Mar-05 22:07:04

Blimey what an exciting birth story!
Congratulations Pidge and welcome Caitlin

HUNKERMUNKER Thu 10-Mar-05 22:10:02

Congratulations, Pidge! What a wonderful birth story - welcome to the world, Iris Caitlin (gorgeous name!) xxxxxxxx

Socci Thu 10-Mar-05 22:11:09

Message withdrawn

misdee Thu 10-Mar-05 22:13:09

congratulations!!!

and aother girl for the marchers

zippy539 Thu 10-Mar-05 22:13:15

Congratulations - a lovely story and a lovely name! Welcome Iris Caitlin!!!

tamula Fri 11-Mar-05 07:32:44

Awww, That sounds just delightful Well done you and welcome to the world Iris

FairyMum Fri 11-Mar-05 07:48:36

Congratulations and what a lovely name

morningpaper Fri 11-Mar-05 08:07:47

Congratulations! "Gentle, early stages" made me smile!

motherinferior Fri 11-Mar-05 08:32:34

OMG what a fantastic story!

I'm so so pleased for you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3mummy Fri 11-Mar-05 08:34:19

Congratulations Pidge! Sounds like you did really well, and what a lovely name you've chosen. Hope you get lots of rest and feeding goes to plan. So pleased for you

Miaou Fri 11-Mar-05 08:53:00

Congrats Pidge - Caitlin is my dd1's name, so it's definitely got my vote! Well done on your home birth.

marialuisa Fri 11-Mar-05 08:59:27

Congratulations Pidge, what a great birth story!

Leogaela Fri 11-Mar-05 10:17:23

Pidge! Congratulations! Wow, the perfect birth (apart from the stitches)! I am so glad it went so well for you. Iris sounds like a lovely baby with a very lovely name!

I hope you are feeling well and you and your family are enjoying the new addition!

Pamina3 Fri 11-Mar-05 10:24:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bonym Fri 11-Mar-05 10:44:05

Lovely birth story Pidge - glad you got to use the pool, albeit only briefly! Huge congratulations to you and your family and a big welcome to Iris

Raindog Fri 11-Mar-05 11:07:43

Congratulations! and what a beautiful name! Well done!

mckenzie Fri 11-Mar-05 12:48:14

and Iris couldn't have picked a better day to be born on could she Pidge? Well done for coping without the gas and air although if it's not there, you dont get much choice do you? I was okay without it until I knew it was on it's way (with the 2nd midwife, the first one decided there wasn't time to stop and pick it up) and then suddenly I wanted it there and then!
I hope your DD us enjoying her new sister as much as my DS is.

Marina Fri 11-Mar-05 12:53:21

What a lovely story and such beautiful names! Congratulations Pidge and a warm welcome to Iris Caitlin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now