Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Little Fruit's slightly-too-exciting arrival

(31 Posts)
fruitful Fri 04-Mar-05 15:42:49

Luke was born at 4.45pm on Sunday 13th Feb, 6 weeks early, weighing 4lbs 6oz with lots of lovely spikey black hair.

I woke up at 2am in a little pool of blood, which wasn't totally unexpected as I knew I had complete placenta praevia (placenta blocking the exit). So I got a ride in an ambulance. The bleeding seemed to have stopped and Luke was kicking my ribs as usual so I wasn't that worried - just horribly carsick - why do those ambulance beds face backwards?

At the hospital I was surrounded by a dozen medical people who stuck needles and drips in all over me and attached me to a monitor - which showed that Luke was very happy, and my uterus was "irritable". I was, too! I lay around for 12 hours and they kept telling me that when my uterus "calmed down" they would move me to the antenatal ward. Had a little gush of blood every so often, but they kept telling me (in slightly surprised tones) that Luke was doing really well. Various doctors came to talk to me about what would happen if they had to do a cs that day, but they didn't think they'd need to.

And then I went into labour; 45 second contractions every 2 minutes, each accompanied by a gush of blood. So the room filled up with people again. They kept introducing senior-sounding doctors - "and this is our expert surgeon who does the really difficult hysterectomies" - oh gee, thanks! There were a lot of people hanging around looking quietly nervous but I wasn't in any state to worry at that point! They said they'd give me a general anaethetic and I thought "oh good, knock me out".

By the time we got to theatre they'd decided on a spinal (dh said the surgeons and the anaesthetists had an argument about it on the way). So I got to be awake, which was nice. DH and I sat there reciting Psalms at each other and ignoring what was going on at the other end of the table.

None of the things they were worried about actually happened, and Luke came out screaming - the best sound ever! At 20 weeks I wanted a homebirth, at 34 I just wanted a baby that breathed. Luke and DH went off to intensive care; dh came back a bit later with a photo and I got to go and see Luke that evening.

The consultant said the scar from my previous cs had started to split and some of the placenta was coming out that way; she thinks it was a good thing the placenta praevia happened before the scar ruptured...

Luke spent a week in SCBU and week on the ward with me learning how to breastfeed, and now we're home. He hasn't put any weight on yet but thats another thread!

morningpaper Fri 04-Mar-05 15:46:37

Wow! How amazing! Congratulations to you and Dh and of course lovely Luke! (The little boys I know called Luke are particularly well behaved!)

fastasleep Fri 04-Mar-05 15:47:09

Wow that is slightly too exciting! You sound like you kept a very cool head! Luke sounds wonderful, I'm glad he didn't get distressed at all Welcome to the world little Luke!

cazzybabs Fri 04-Mar-05 15:49:28

I'm glad everything has worked out well. And i'm glad Luke is doing well. Many congratulations - don't think i would re-call any psalms with all that going on!

hoxtonchick Fri 04-Mar-05 15:50:48

congratulations. sounds very eventful with a great ending!

prunegirl Fri 04-Mar-05 15:51:18

Message withdrawn

sallystrawberry Fri 04-Mar-05 15:53:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tommy Fri 04-Mar-05 15:55:57

Wow - congratulations - hope everything goes well.

WideWebWitch Fri 04-Mar-05 15:58:52

Congratulations, sounds scary but welcome to Luke!

hana Fri 04-Mar-05 16:03:28

congrats on your latest little one!

Leogaela Fri 04-Mar-05 16:07:26

Congratulations! After a worrying pregnancy you must be very relieved and happy!

Gem13 Fri 04-Mar-05 16:12:27

Congratulations! You sound very chilled about it all.

Welcome to Luke Same date last year that I had DD. (Never understood why people thought that was so great before but there is something special learning that the date is going to be so lovely for someone else!)

HunkerMunker Fri 04-Mar-05 16:17:36

Congratulations! Glad that Luke is here safe and sound - amazing birth story! xxxxxx

sobernow Fri 04-Mar-05 16:20:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beansprout Fri 04-Mar-05 17:17:04

Congratulations and welcome to Luke! You sound wonderfully accepting of the situation which is just lovely. Hope you are recovering well

aloha Fri 04-Mar-05 17:20:09

Congratulations! I had complete placenta preavia with my first and was lucky to get to 37 and a half weeks. So pleased lovely Luke is healthy and it went well in the end.

bonym Fri 04-Mar-05 17:40:35

Wow! You sound as though you coped with a scary situation astonishingly well (100x better than I would have done!). Glad to hear all ended well and a big welcome to Luke (lovely name)

DecafArabica Fri 04-Mar-05 19:51:45

Congratulations! I love the name Luke too

Tissy Fri 04-Mar-05 20:08:38

congratulations!

LOL at you and DH reciting psalms to each other during the section- one of my ways to get through a difficult situation is to recite the Te Deum Laudamus to myself- I had to learn it verabatim at school and it's really long, so useful for distracting attention!

Love the name Luke, that's what I would have been, if I'd been a boy!

lunavix Sat 05-Mar-05 13:04:14

Congratulations

suzywong Sat 05-Mar-05 13:06:50

congratulations and welcome to Luke
glad you got through all that surgery OK, it can very off-putting watching the med team's faces can't it?
Well done

tassis Sat 05-Mar-05 13:19:05

Well done fruitful and welcome to the world baby Luke!

Love the picture of you reciting Psalms during labour!

Amanda3266 Sat 05-Mar-05 13:46:15

Many congratulations to you and welcome to the world little Luke.

motherinferior Sat 05-Mar-05 14:52:54

Well done, and congratulations.

Lonelymum Sat 05-Mar-05 14:58:55

Lovely to read your birth story even though it doesn't sound like a birth you would want repeated! Congratulations and I hope Luke starts putting on some weight soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now