Advanced search

Dophus hatched Felix

(19 Posts)
Dophus Sat 12-Feb-05 10:31:28

A little late announcement but on the 24th Jan I gave birth to Felix - 7lb 11 oz.

Felix was breeched and I was determined to give birth vaginally. Time was running out as I had a CS booked for the 26th (my consultant would support a trial of labour was wasn't prepared to let me go overdue). After weeks of pineapple, sex, bouncing down the stairs and a sweep I went into labour in the early hours of 24th Jan.

We went to hospital at about 9 am and I was 3.5 cm dilated with 5 min contarctions. At 2.30 I was still only 3.5 cm dilated and contactions were intense and 3 min apart. As I was still only only at the start of the active phase we decided that I would have a CS.

Felix was born at 3.40 and is the most beautiful baby in the world (sorry - I suspect that some of you Mum's may also claim that title for your babies!!!).

I struggled witht the baby blues for the first couple of weeks but it has now passed. The only thing that I keep getting upset about is reliving my decision for the CS and wishing that I had tried a little longer. I have an overwhelming desire to go back back and try again! I can rationalise that it was the best decision but wish I had had a normal delivery. I guess I'll get over it soon!

blueteddy Sat 12-Feb-05 10:33:49

Congratulations on the birth of Felix!
What a cute name!

Dophus Sat 12-Feb-05 10:35:49

Thanks - our parents were a littel horrified witht the name - thay can't disassociate it form the cat food!

Ameriscot2005 Sat 12-Feb-05 10:37:09

Congratulations, Dophus!

What hospital did you use in the end?

biglips Sat 12-Feb-05 10:40:01

is this your first?

Dophus Sat 12-Feb-05 11:01:05

Yes - he's my first and I can't wait to go and do it all again!!

I had Felix at the Royal Surrey in guildford - the care I had both prenatally and post natally was superb.

rickman Sat 12-Feb-05 11:15:14

Message withdrawn

ScummyMummy Sat 12-Feb-05 11:19:30

Ace. Love the name Felix. Enjoy.

Cam Sat 12-Feb-05 15:46:19

Dophus felix is the best boy's name ever, my gds is one and (should be on the coincidence thread) was born on the same date (but several years ago).
Many congrats!

pupuce Sat 12-Feb-05 16:02:30

Dophus..... well done for trying in a world where no one does anymore.... Presumably this wasn't your first child?
You can have VBAC next time!
I think just having tried is a really positive thing you can be REALLY proud of..... finding medical support was always going to be hard anyway.
Enjoy Felix ... and give yourself a big pad on the back for all your hard work

P.S. Maybe his bum wasn't sitting on your cervix well and therefore your dilation woud always have been tricky!

pupuce Sat 12-Feb-05 16:03:38

Sorry - just read he was your first.... well HATS OFF TO YOU!
Go for a VBAC next time as you will have already done some labouring it will be much easier then !

NameChangingMancMidlander Sat 12-Feb-05 16:06:51

Fabulous ! Felix is such a cute name

Hulababy Sun 13-Feb-05 14:57:55

Congratulations! and welcome to Felix

Piabeth Mon 14-Feb-05 11:30:33

I'll add my virtual congratulations to the RL ones we sent. Don't know the etiquette on this but my username should be an explanation!

Dophus Mon 14-Feb-05 12:49:02

Thanks to all for your kind messages and I'm glad you like the name (we did have a few last minute doubts and have had a few 'no really...' when we have told people his name.

Pupuce - you're proabably right about the lack of pressure on the cervix - I just wish I had tried a little longer (we had the option) but I couldn;t face any more at the time. I keep thinking I wimped out now.

Cam - that is a coincidence given Felix isn't exactly a common name!

Piabeth - I was wondering how long it would be before someone recognised me, or if anyone I knew was on MN too!!! Thanks for the lovely gift.
How is everything with you? Do you have a date for moving yet? Assuming I've got the dubtle clue in the name right! Do you have my email?

mears Mon 14-Feb-05 13:58:22

Congratulations and welcome to Felix

Dophus, you did the right thing. If your contractions were regular and painful and you had only progressed so little, then that does not bode well for a vaginal breech delivery. You are so fortunate that you were 'allowed' to try. Most women are not. At least your baby was definately ready to be born though

Piabeth Mon 14-Feb-05 13:59:12

Hi, yes you're spot on! We've been down over the w/e and found somewhere to rent, should be moving around 18th March. Don't know if we have your home email or are you still on the work address? DH very amused by this turn of events as you can imagine!

Glad that all is going well-hey, if you've got time to post on here you must have a happy little chap, and hope I haven't freaked you out. BTW, I think it takes a very brave person to even contemplate a "normal" delivery in the circs you describe so don't give yourself a hard time.

Dophus Mon 14-Feb-05 14:19:33

I can't understand why I'm giving myself a hard time as I know that what really matters is that I have a beautiful baby - how he hatched is irrelevant! I thnk DP thinks I have gone mad to become a little obsessed about the whole thing.

I'm slowly adjustin to life AF (after Felix aka the nipple-mancer) and getting used to the nip-nap routine. He's well behaved apart from in the evenings. It's just a bit weird having everything take so long. It's the afternoon and I have barely managed to dress us both and the house is a mess. DP will have to forget any ideas of a romantic evenings. I am also looking forward to being mobile and able to drive again. DP went back to work today and it feels a little strange - I'm sure I should have to have a licence to own one of these strange creatures!

PB -Are you happy about moving - I know you finally had a job you were enjoying.

I'd better go and get on with something constructive!

Piabeth Mon 14-Feb-05 14:39:52

Give yourself time, it must be hard being without transport in such a lovely but somewhat rural part of Surrey!

I've come to terms with moving and a large salary increase is making the prospect of moving to a dull job more bearable. Have also had a lot of work taken off my hands since I handed in my notice so spend most of the day between here and Rightmove! DD is really excited about her new school and enjoyed her afternoon there on Friday. We just have to sell the bl**dy house now.

See you around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now