Talk

Advanced search

Baby Born on New Years Day!!! (Pockettasha/tinsel)

(23 Posts)
PocketTinsel Tue 04-Jan-05 02:29:55

Hi all, thought i would finally get down to sharing my very long and complicated story. Those of you from the Jan thread might know that i'd had a few probs with blood pressure and stuff, was diagnosed PIH and doctor decided to go for early induction. I was generally ok but problem seemed to be getting slowly worse so decision was made.

I was taken in on Thursday 30th Dec. But due to a ridiculously busy labour ward they didn't start the induction till the 31st, by prostiglandin (can't spell?!) tablet). Was already at 2cm dilated when they did it. First one (given at 6pm) didn't help at all, i just had a night of horrible pain which wasn't even labour (although the tens machine was already making itself useful) to be told the next day that there was no change!!! They tried another to get a few more centimetres out of me before they broke my water at 9am on the 1st Jan. By 3pm nothing had happened so they decided to take me up and break my water with the two centimetres that i had. And thankfully the doctor just got on with it! And from here the story spirals out of control!!

Right.. at 4pm i was taken to the Labour ward and at 4:30 the lovely doctor broke my water. I had already been told that i had extra amniotice fluid and despite my mentioning it again before she did it the doctor got COMPLETELY soaked! I was happily laughing my head off sucking on the gas and air while she jumped off the bed while fluid poured of the bed onto the floor and kept coming! I couldn't even stop laughing to explain to the student midwife (that was delivering me for her assessment!) That it wasn't the effect of the G&A that was making me laugh so much, but the sight of the very small asian doctor (she wasn't even five foot i'm sure, as i'm only 5.2 myself!) standing at the end of my bed soaked and simply saying, quite quietly "I didn't anticipate that." That had me so far rolled up that i barely noticed my next contraction! Well the next couple of hours were spent with my bouncing on a birthing ball, leaning over the bed, sucking on the gas and air, and breaking my tens machine by knocking it off the bed in a paticularly bad contraction! (it now rattles!). Only to be tols when i was examined that i was still only at 3cm!!! So they called for the little man with the needle and Syntocinon (again spelling ?!), this is supposed to make contractions stonger (apparently i wasn't in enough pain!!). But by the time he got there, which was at 7pm, i had already felt a few involuntary pushes. Aware that i was going to HAVE to use pethedine if i was going to be given this syntocinon to make it was worse, especially without my beloved tens machine and only the G&A for company, (and of course dh who incidently was fantastic the whole time), i wanted to be damn sure that i needed it before it was given to me! So i asked the doctor to check again before giving it, he didn't want to as it had only been, by his information, 1 hour since i had been examined. And he didn't want to risk infection. It had actually only been about half an hour but i said, with a little translation from dh, that i did not want the syntocinon unless i was checked first. I dilated very fast with my first ds and anticipated the same again. Well, he checked... i was at 6cm and dilating fast! He declared that i didn't need "help" and left the room at 7:30. With me calling a muffled "thank you" after him. WELL... With all my little involuntary pushes and with me already on the bed and a student midwife who i am sure was wishing she'd decided to do an assessment in ANYTHING else that day, my little ds2 was born 30 minutes later... (Only five of those were active pushing).

9lbs exacly (with his hand on his head!)
He has a head full of dark hair and i have one carefully intact perinuim .

Baby is beautiful, feeding well, and was very well received by his big brother.

(dont have time to read this back, so hope it makes sense!)

maddiemo Tue 04-Jan-05 08:17:47

Congratulations. Glad it went well..

Have you thought of a name yet?

beansprout Tue 04-Jan-05 08:27:38

Many congratulations to you and welcome to you new ds!!
LOL at the fluid too!!

Pidge Tue 04-Jan-05 09:44:52

Congratulations ... and happy new year to you and the new arrival.

stressedmummy Tue 04-Jan-05 09:50:14

Big congratulations pockettasha!
I am so pleased for you!
2 boys are great!

Marina Tue 04-Jan-05 10:05:48

Glad all is well pocktettasha, LOL at the extra amniotic fluid! Congratulations on your little boy.

Hulababy Tue 04-Jan-05 10:08:45

Congratulations and welcome to your DS

Gem13 Tue 04-Jan-05 10:10:19

Congratulations! Welcome to your big DS

fufmum Tue 04-Jan-05 15:10:52

Great story Tasha but we need a name, what did you call him?

Oh i am so excited now i can't wait to be putting up my birth story!!

Congratulations again!!!!

hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 15:13:20

LOL at the doctor's comment! at your intact perineum.

And congratulations on your beautiful baby boy!

Gobbledigook Tue 04-Jan-05 15:14:02

Fab, fab story!! Congratulations!!

georginatheRednoSedreindeer Tue 04-Jan-05 17:06:55

Congratulations

MarsLady Tue 04-Jan-05 17:09:01

What a wonderful start to the New Year, a new son. Congratulations!

smellymelly Tue 04-Jan-05 17:23:48

Fantastic - and what a great story!!! Happy New Year...

Nimme Tue 04-Jan-05 17:35:39

What a story - congratulations [SMILE]

hana Tue 04-Jan-05 19:54:01

Congratulations on your latest little ds!! Fab birth - lol at your waters and fast dialation. 5 min pushing - am jealous
Happy New Year!

Yurtgirl Tue 04-Jan-05 20:46:24

Message withdrawn

sweeney Tue 04-Jan-05 23:37:40

well done for holding your ground. sometimes the medical m,odel is so scared of nature taking its course!

PocketTinsel Wed 05-Jan-05 10:51:15

Thank you every one, Sorry about the not posting a name! What a thing to forget!! We have named him Cameron.

maddiemo Wed 05-Jan-05 13:49:52

Cameron is a lovely name

I've got one

highlander Wed 05-Jan-05 17:29:52

LOL at your story
Cameron is a fab name!

PotPourri Thu 06-Jan-05 19:39:52

Congrats pokettinsel- great choice of name. What a great story - and I loved the waters breaking story! Also very jealous of your intact perineum and only 5 mins active pushing.

Sallie Fri 07-Jan-05 11:12:22

What a detailed story - thanks for taking the time to post it and many congrats. Hope little Cameron is doing well and hope you are all recovering speedily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: