Breastfeeding help needed

(6 Posts)
strawberry2017 Fri 08-May-20 00:57:48

So on Wednesday tea time my beautiful baby boy was born. He was a C-section baby and is a chunky monkey!
I am producing colostrum, and I'm using a pump to encourage my supply.
The problem I am having is baby boy will not latch on. The midwifes are helping me but we have come to the conclusion he is a lazy feeder. He prefers to use my nipples as a pillow! hmm
He will literally sit with my nipple in the perfect position to latch and won't open his mouth wide enough or pushes it away.
His older sister was exactly the same and I didn't think for one minute I'd have 2 kids with the same feeding issues.
I've started the pump early because by the time we realised this was an issue with my first it was too late and my milk never fully came in.
Has anyone got any advise on how to get him latched? He's not even interested if I express some colostrum for him first.
Thank you x

OP’s posts: |
strawberry2017 Fri 08-May-20 02:00:31

@admin is this the right section for my post?
Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
coffeeorwine Sun 24-May-20 21:23:38

I had a pretty snoozy feeder. I was told to get her cross and then try to latch, so stripped off, back and feet tickles and blowing on the back of her neck. Could your nipples need a help? You can get little pumps to get them perter to help him latch, and after having some expressed milk on them first should help. Good luck x

pinguwings Sun 24-May-20 21:35:53

Skin to skin basically all the time.
Try express a drop of colostrum on your nipple so he can smell/taste it straight away.
Is he jaundice? It could be making him sleepier.
Agree with previous poster about trying to wake him up as much as possible. After a bath/ wash is a good time to try (they're usually pretty cross after that!)

Justmemyself Sun 24-May-20 21:43:45

Congratulations of the arrival of your wee one! I highly recommend reading this article: www.emmapickettbreastfeedingsupport.com/twitter-and-blog/when-baldy-doesnt-want-your-tit-newborn-breast-refusal

How are you feeding meantime? Some babies will latch with nipple shields or with some breastshaping so that the nipple hits the correct part of the mouth to trigger the suck reflex but as I'd recommend getting in contact with an IBCLC or at least phoning the national breastfeeding helpline on 0300 100 0212.

K1999 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:00:30

Curious as to how you got on? My baby boy was born the 4th of May and had the exact same problem. Turns out he had jaundice and didn't have the energy

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in