Talk

Advanced search

My friends birthing hospital dilemma (Havering area)

(10 Posts)
ClareL Mon 17-Sep-07 09:43:21

My friend is due to give birth in a couple of weeks and she has been given two possible choice of hospitals Kings or Queens? She is allowed to visit the maternity unit at Kings but not Queens. I was wondering if anybody had given birth in either of these hospitals - what did you think of the maternity unit?

iliketosleep Mon 17-Sep-07 09:48:02

it might be better if you post in the pregnany section as this is the birth announcments

Mummy2TandF Mon 17-Sep-07 09:50:14

I haven't given birth in either as I just made it before Harold Wood closes. 3 of my friends have just given birth at King Georges and were happy with everything. I think people have bad ideas about King Georges but in reality the maternity unit is quite good. Queens on the other hand, all I have heard is bad reports. Dh's neice is also training to be a midwife and she would recommend ing Georges over Queens any day. I hope this helps

ClareL Mon 17-Sep-07 09:51:57

Definitely helps - thank you. My friend has the impression that maybe Queens doesn't have a full maternity unit - only an overspill. Seems weird that you can't visit.

Mummy2TandF Mon 17-Sep-07 09:53:12

I have been told that you have to phone Queens when you are in labour and see if they can fit you in (they are mainly for problem pgs I think) but tbh from what I have heard there is no problem with King Georges

bubblagirl Mon 17-Sep-07 09:59:58

my friend had to go to kings although queens is our local hospital so i'm not sure why you cant go there shame harold wood closed thats where i had my ds

ClareL Mon 17-Sep-07 11:06:10

I gave birth at Basildon hospital - and I did have to phone before I went but I think that was mainly so they have a chance to get your records ready etc. before you turn up. She has heard that Queen's won't accept if they have no beds - but how can they turn you away!!!

mymatemax Mon 17-Sep-07 20:40:58

can't comment about maternity but everything i've heard about queens is that it is terrible even that it should be pulled down & start again.
That little gem of a statement comes from a DR at Queens!

KELZ123 Thu 17-Jul-08 10:19:41

i gave birth in jan @ queens n i must say how bad it was...firstly i was told to wait in hospital after my waters had brojke cos i was on a risk list n i shuld ave been checked every so hrs but that never happened...i waited an hr b4 i got pethidine when i asked for it an hr before n i said i was pushing but cos i was asleep becuase of the drug i had the nurse said i weasnt n when she came bk i was nearly dilated n she told me to stop pushing cos they culdnt deliver in labour suite where i was allday...all in all it was a nightmare...my best birth was @ harold wood, it was lovely n so was the staff

missingwine Thu 17-Jul-08 17:06:11

Don't go to Queens!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now