Talk

Advanced search

Having a girl child/baby

(11 Posts)
Ricoetbello Tue 08-Jan-19 18:07:20

I've heard people say to women or families things like "don't worry next time you will have a boy" or "you need a boy to carry on your family and finances"

Has anyone experienced this while pregnant or after having a girl/girls?

It's sad that people can openly say things like this and think it's ok.

Cornishmumofone Tue 08-Jan-19 18:52:52

No. No-one said anything crazy like that to me. I think it must be the specific group of people you are mixing with who gave out-dated viewpoints.

SuzieBishop Wed 09-Jan-19 10:29:12

I already have a DS who is nearly 2 and have a DD on the way - the amount of people who have said "oh you'll be so happy/relieved you're getting one of each!" I would of been perfectly happy with another boy - really not sure with the obsession over having one of each!

MarshaBradyo Wed 09-Jan-19 10:31:23

I’ve never heard anyone say the finances ones

Have they said it to you?

- Are you writing an article?

goldengummybear Wed 09-Jan-19 11:36:41

Are you in another country? In my experience people get more excited about girls because they assume that women will enjoy shopping for girl's stuff more.

NicoleNoPants Wed 09-Jan-19 11:38:26

I think most people assume women want girls

EyeDrops Wed 09-Jan-19 11:56:31

Not in the same way you've said, but I'm currently expecting girl #2 and have had several "Oh that's a shame, one of each would have been nice," and "Well you'll have to have another then to have a boy too!"

It drives me nuts, I'm really excited to have a second little girl. In any case, it's no-one else's business!

Leleophants Fri 25-Jan-19 17:50:37

Hopefully these outdated views are changing! What a shame.

Crazybunnylady123 Thu 21-Feb-19 09:34:00

With my first I leaned towards a little girl, I had my childhood toys to pass on, a girls name dp and I loved. I was over the moon to have a little girl. Now trying again and I’m really not bothered what I have. If I get a boy great another little girl also great. I will be stopping at two kids! smile

elQuintoConyo Thu 21-Feb-19 09:39:53

A friend had 2 boys and was expecting a 3rd, she got this off a lot of people, "aw, are you disappointed?". Mostly it's just people trying to show an interest, but I agree it is a pretty stupid thing to say. I gave a positive 'oh how lovely, a little clan of boys' but that doesn't mean her having a girl would have been any 'less', iyswim?

The comment in the OP about finance - no, never heard anything like that.

Bigonesmallone3 Thu 21-Feb-19 09:41:00

Never heard anything like it

How stupid

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »