Talk

Advanced search

Parents will be disappointed I'm pregnant again

(58 Posts)
ty1996 Thu 04-Oct-18 08:18:59

Hi, im 11 weeks pregnant and really worried about telling my parents and grandparents. I know they want me to finish college and get uni done, and I already have a 1 year old who they help me with whilst I'm in college. Anyway the other day we all went out for dinner and I was about to tell them, when they all started saying 'don't you be having another baby until you've got a good career behind you' 'I'm too old to be looking after another' (I wouldn't expect them to look after it) and 'we won't be helping you with this one' and it kind of made me realise they don't want me to have another yet. I'm 22. Now I'm more scared than ever about telling them because I know they won't be happy about it and they will be disappointed. However they all had children when they were 16,18,21, so they can't say I'm too young for two. I guess I'm basically asking for advice on how to tell them.

MamaJune Thu 04-Oct-18 10:06:47

I would just tell them but try to overcome their objections before they have a chance to bring them up so they can see you have a plan in place.

- We are having another baby, it is due on X date so I will have completed college by then and be in month X of my gap year and will have saved up X by then for additional childcare for the start of uni which will also mean that I can pay for and arrange childcare for both children without needed to rely on you. I really appreciate all of your help looking after DD this past year which has given me a great boost in getting through college and has put me in a position to now not need any more help and be fully self sufficient for my family.

Prettyvase Thu 04-Oct-18 10:26:58

Haha Mamajune, this would be the plan of somebody who is thoughtful and considerate of others grin

MamaJune Thu 04-Oct-18 21:35:48

@Prettyvase yes, my heads are mostly up in the clouds trying to see the best in people grin

Cosmoa Thu 11-Oct-18 21:55:27

Wow people really kissed the point of the OP didn't they!!

She didn't moan about her parents or suggest didn't understand what they were saying. She was just explaining what they had said to clarify why she was struggling to tell them about this pregnancy.

Get off your high horses! Jeez!

Best of luck to you OP. Congratulations on the new pregnancy smile

Cosmoa Thu 11-Oct-18 21:56:10

Missed the point! Not kissed.. 🙄

loveiseverything Fri 07-Dec-18 22:02:10

My fiancé and I have a DD of almost 2. We planned to wait another 2 years before baby number 2 but to our surprise we've recently found out baby number 2 is due in June next year. I worried what my mam would say especially as I experienced pretty bad post natal depression and felt as though we were going to be told we must be stupid.
My best friend and fiancé got together and physically put me in the car and took me to my parents to tell them. My partner just handed the pregnancy test to my mam, her face was blank, she looked up at me and said 'how do you feel about it?' I replied 'over the moon' to which she grabbed me into a mammy hug and told us how excited and over the moon she was. She told me she didn't react straight away as she was afraid I wasn't happy and didn't want me to feel guilty if she was over the moon for us but we weren't happy about it.
Moral of the story is...you may be expecting the worst when actually they'll be really happy for you
Good luck and congratulations

Jt123 Tue 22-Jan-19 20:23:00

What is with people on here - surely it’s about being supportive! We’re talking about a life - congratulations! I think you will be just fine, it’s no ones business if you decide to have a baby - ur not a drug addict, your child isn’t in care! We’re here to procreate! More life! I’m on my fourth! Chin chin

Monty1755 Wed 20-Feb-19 11:54:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: