Talk

Advanced search

New baby gift ideas - help!

(15 Posts)
EllJ Wed 11-Apr-18 12:33:18

My best friend has just had her first baby and I want to give a mixture of the normal baby type gifts but also something nice for her and some useful items as well as the typical cutesy stuff. Problem is, I'm not yet a parent and don't know what type of thing would be appropriate/ useful and was hoping some of you could fill me with wisdom as to what kind of things might be nice?

Tricksy12345 Wed 11-Apr-18 12:54:26

I got a pamper set bought for me after I had one of my children. It was lovely because I felt like rubbish so it was a good excuse to have some time to myself and be pampered

Uiscebeatha85 Wed 11-Apr-18 12:56:13

Tuppence and crumble starsuit

MaderiaCycle Wed 11-Apr-18 12:59:54

Ask her what she needs. She’ll appreciate it - I promise! I’m currently 40 weeks and a bit (overdue) and I could set up a shop with swaddle wraps, baby wipes and nipple cream as well as tiny baby gros.

Tricksy12345 Wed 11-Apr-18 13:08:16

I suppose it depends what your friends preferences are and what she's already got. We received a little box filled with baby medicines, paracetamol, teething sachets, colic things, cradle cap shampoo. All things related to baby ailments. They came in handy when the baby was older and teething.

Panicmode1 Wed 11-Apr-18 13:27:50

I got vouchers for COOK which was fabulous because I couldn't think about cooking meals for a while! It was such a good idea. I had SO many baby clothes etc and so some of them were barely worn before they were grown out of!

AndWhat Wed 11-Apr-18 13:30:08

Boots voucher is very useful to stock up on all baby stuff or to get anything for your bf

EllJ Wed 11-Apr-18 13:44:47

Some great ideas here, thanks! Will def go with some of those
Are toys/ bears etc. for baby a bit pointless at this stage and something she would get a lot of from others? And is something like a personalised bracelet with baby's initial on a little OTT from a friend? She always gives the most thoughtful & lovely gifts and I really want to spoil her but don't want to step on any toes either.

strawberrysparkle Wed 11-Apr-18 13:52:10

I'm expecting my baby any day and I would say if I was gifted anything 'useful' like baby calpol etc then this would be good.

Things for when baby is older such as teething toys, weening sets and baby books also.

I've got everything 'newborn' related but older things would be useful. To be honest I've got so many blankets that they would probably go unused if someone got me another.

For me I would appreciate some nice chocolate and posh make up or something.

donnaeastman Wed 25-Apr-18 03:59:17

When I had my first baby, my friend gave me a customized baby onesie. It's the cutest.

BikeRunSki Wed 25-Apr-18 04:05:12

Posh ready meals for her. Not vouchers, actual food that she can shove in the oven as needed. Vouchers rely on her having a moment to order, as well as a moment to eat. Tesco Finest, M&S etc. Puddings too. Several meals. Prepared veg too.

I often get babies a personalised taggy with their name on.

Sealant Wed 25-Apr-18 04:17:24

The best thing we bought for our little one was a snugglebundl, was so useful for getting her out of the pram/car seat when she is sleeping.

I’ve vowed to buy every one for every new baby present!

Rainbowqueeen Wed 25-Apr-18 04:31:17

There are some great ideas here.

Hand cream for her would be really useful, you are forever washing your hands with a baby

Also things for the slightly older baby like bath toys and books. I would stay away from teddies as that’s something people tend to get lots of.

Rtmhwales Wed 25-Apr-18 04:40:43

The best gift my sister got when she had her baby was housecleaning service every week for the first four weeks.

Porgs Wed 25-Apr-18 05:11:28

We got sooo many clothes! I really liked it when people gave us books as we didn't have many.

For her, how about some chocolate? Only one person sent me chocolate and it was very gratefully received! Also if she's breastfeeding maybe a suitable nightie? I have 2 from mothercare that have poppers down the front which are so comfy and practical

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: