Talk

Advanced search

Angry at partner telling everyone

(7 Posts)
Hannabee123 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:55:47

Hi everyone

I am about 5 weeks pregnant. I have told my mum and dad as I am quite close with them and my partner has told his mum. Today has been overwhelming though!!
I did not want anyone really knowing until we are at the 12 week point as I am very aware and petrified about it going wrong. My partners mum seems to be telling all of her friends and already arranging items for the baby and my partner is telling his friends.
He realised now it's upsetting me I'm sitting on the bed crying right now because I can't really feel excited because I know it's so early. I'm so hurt people are finding out and being excited when I can't.

Do you think I'm over reacting literally shaking sad

BlondeBecky1983 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:58:05

No I don't think you are overreacting as so many pregnancies fail in the early weeks. I'm sure you will be fine but it's incredibly insensitive of your partner.

flowers

GraceBlish Sun 30-Apr-17 17:22:13

I think some men are unaware of the risks during early pregnancy. Maybe just remind him that it's still very touch and go. My partner and I didn't tell anyone that we wouldn't be ok telling if something went wrong, that was our general rule. I'd just let him know you're feeling anxious and that the next few months should be about looking after each other till you're out of the woods. Good luck with everything ❤

Twinmummytobe Sun 30-Apr-17 18:42:58

Hi your MIL has no right to tell people your news - did you make it clear it was still early days? Have a word with your husband and explain the risks involved before 12 weeks and tell him to make sure the people he has told keep it confidential. You aren't overreacting but the damage is done - try not to stress about it.

Mehfruittea Sun 30-Apr-17 18:55:37

We had IVF. Told loads of people we were having the treatment, it failed. Next time round, told our friends again but only rough dates of starting it. We got a positive test result but I couldn't celebrate it. I was too shit scared, we had a scan at 8 weeks to confirm the pregnancy, still scared as hell. At 12 weeks we went to the normal dating scan. DH was celebrating from then. We told people but I was still really scared that after 5 years and our last roll of the dice, it wasnt going to happen for us. I spent all of the pregnancy in fear and didn't stop to 'enjoy' it like some do. I was relieved to have my baby and for him to be ok. It then hit me that I had worried so much I didn't do anything to prepare myself for being a mum!! Doh!

You're right to be cautious at this stage, but it will also do you good to relax. Understand worst case scenario but then enjoy each day you have, I wish I had known to do that.

rollonthesummer Sun 30-Apr-17 18:57:41

Well, it sounds like it's your partner's mum that's telling everyone, not your partner. Ask him to tell her to stop immediately!

baconsandwiches Wed 24-May-17 12:03:26

I would expect him to be having a stern word with his mother, it is not ok at all for her to go around telling her friends etc. Also unreasonable of your partner to be telling his friends when you've made it clear you're not ok with that.
We didn't tell anyone, parents included, until the 12 week scan and even then only told close family/friends until 20 weeks and I would do the same again, I think people forget how emotional and worrying a time it can be and get carried away sharing news that isn't theirs to share. Hope you're able to rein it in a bit and limit more people finding out until you're ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now