Talk

Advanced search

How did you all tell people?

(13 Posts)
confuseddot Sat 01-Apr-17 07:33:26

Hi all

Just wondering what age you got pregnant, how long you were with your other half? how did you tell family or friends? At how many weeks did you tell people? And also their reactions would be great too!

TIA xx

DarkestBeforeDawn Sat 01-Apr-17 07:58:08

I got pregnant at age 29 with my first. Had been living with DP for 5 yrs. No one knew that we were trying for a baby. We took my parents out for breakfast and told them there at the table - I was about two weeks along so really early but there is no way I could have kept it from them!! They were so excited - and loud - and I think everyone at the cafe knew!!

Heratnumber7 Sat 01-Apr-17 08:03:11

I just phoned DPs and told them when I was a couple of months pregnant.
Work - told people after my first scan, which back in the days of yore was at about 20 weeks or so.
No big deal really.

wineandcheeseplease Sat 01-Apr-17 08:07:07

I showed my parents a photo of a pregnancy test on xmas day. I was only 1-2 weeks but they knew about my ivf. We told inlaws too.

confuseddot Sat 01-Apr-17 08:08:47

Darkest that is so sweet. I don't know how far along I am yet. Either 12 or 8 weeks I think as I was on the pill and sort of had a period but could have been implantation from what I've read! Scan is on Monday. Me and other half were undecided on what we were going to do but after research we've agreed if it looks like a baby in any way then we are certainly not having an abortion. I hate the thought of an abortion for myself. But also absolutely Bricking it to tell family too!! We live together and are buying another house as I currently own this with an ex. But we've only been together 9 months(but have lived together for that long too he never went home after the second date pretty much!! ) my family adore him and he is so so good with children and so supportive of me in every way which my ex wasn't at all to say the least and I was with him for years and years!! My mum and dad are older and already have grandchildren but I'm the youngest of my siblings x

Ca55andraMortmain Sat 01-Apr-17 08:08:54

We told my brother first, we gave him a hoodie with 'Uncle (name)' on the back.

We took both sets of parents out for lunch on mother's day and gave the mums wrapped up baby booties. They were delighted.

I know that on MN lots of people don't like the idea of doing cutesy/gimmicky things to tell people and think like pp said, 'its no big deal really'. But i think if announcing a pregnancy isn't a big deal, what is?! It's nice to make a fuss about it i think.

confuseddot Sat 01-Apr-17 08:09:12

Wine and cheese that's so lovely!! Congrats to you xx

confuseddot Sat 01-Apr-17 08:11:02

Ca55. I'm terrified to tell them and don't know what their reaction will be. Of course I'm an adult and have my open place and I'm financially stable but I am 'young' although not that young. 23 soon!! My other half and I haven't been together THAT long either so that worries me of people's thoughts

kel1493 Sat 01-Apr-17 08:40:57

I conceived when I was 21 and gave birth when I was 22.
My dh and I had been together for 2 months when we decided to ttc (we both wanted it). Started trying in July and conceived in November, so we'd been together 6 months when I got pregnant. I was a student and we found out the day before I had to go home for Christmas holidays, so we didn't have chance to even talk about it ourselves. So we didn't tell anyone until the middle of January, by which time I was about 6 or 7 weeks. We only told close family- my mum and stepdad and my dad, and dh's mum and dad, a couple of other close family members and friends. We told them by phone. We had 2 lots of news though as we'd got engaged as well, and the wedding was 3 months away (wanted to be married before the baby was born and before I was showing).
My mum was expecting the engagement as she knew I wanted it, and she half expected the baby was well. My dad was a bit surprised but happy for us (he half expected the engagement fairly soon as dh had asked him), but the baby was a bigger shock. Dh's parents were surprised but happy. Everyone else was happy for us in the end as well.

confuseddot Sat 01-Apr-17 08:46:28

Wow so young and quick. But if you know you know!! I'd love to have been engaged first really or married. But I guess that's the hand life has dealt me x

Sewingbeatshousework Sat 01-Apr-17 09:06:53

Pg with DS (not really planned) at 21, had been with DH for 6 years & married for 1. My mum and dad's reaction wasn't great, more because we'd just moved to a new city and I'd just started a new job. Within a few hours they'd came round and everyone else was very happy. We travelled down to tell them in person.

Pg with DD at 23 (planned), again parents reaction not great as I'd just started another new job and as employers themselves they frowned upon this....came around quick again. Told my to mum on the way to hospital as suspected eptopic (all was fine) so completely took her by surprise.

Pg with Ds2 at 31 (very much unplanned) same DH, was completely dreading telling parents due to previous reactions and the fact I suffer from chronic pain which does restrict me. I kind of chickened out by waiting until they'd had a couple of drinks and getting our DC to tell them 😂. Although they were shocked (my sister filmed their reactions and the silence was deafening) they were immediately very pleased for us so I'd worried about nothing.

All were told very early on at 5-6 weeks, we did of doing a 'big annoucement' with the last one but as we weren't sure how the news would be received we left it...

Congratulations to you 😊

jld128 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:49:36

i got pregnant at 30 been with my partner 4years and got married last week, told family on boxing day with a cheesy baby loading tshirt, everyone cried and was over the moon for us as we had previously had a mc, now 27 weeks and nearly on the 10week countdown! smile

SSF8 Sun 30-Apr-17 08:54:14

I fell pregnant with DD when I was 16. I'd been with my partner for 9 months. I was young and stupid and guess I just thought "it won't happen to me" but it did! I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 18 weeks and then hid it from EVERYONE as I was terrified!
I finally told my grandma on new year (22wks ) because I couldn't really hide it much longer. I was 5ft2, size 8 with a very round tummy! To say she was shocked was an understatement! Eventually told everyone with my grandmas support, my dad threw me out and I ended up living with my grandma until DD was 3 and I'd finished college. Things changed as soon as she was born though. I think my dad was just in shock. He soon came round!
DD is 9 next week. Me and her dad are still together, both have good jobs, and just got ourselves on the property ladder. We have also been TTC baby number 2 for the past 8 months (no luck yet) so it all worked out perfect in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now