Talk

Advanced search

Sallyallyally breaks personal best for fast labour!

(17 Posts)
Sallyallyally Wed 14-Feb-07 20:19:28

After 2 weeks of shows, niggles, intense contractions, internal exams showing a 'promising cervix', finally admitted to hospital on Monday morning as pain all weekend and wouldn't go away! Examined by Doc, who found cervix to be vereeee posterior, partially effaced and slightly open (as per the last week). Fetal heart tracing not marvellous so at term plus 12 admitted for induction. Waited on ward all day for space on labour ward getting more and more nervous and knackered! Finally taken down at midnight by one of worlds loveliest midwives . Fab staff on duty, labour ward quiet and actually a bit nicer to be there at nighttime than the harsh reality of day. Highly uncomfortable Artificial rupture of membranes then a walk about for an hour to get things going. 1 o clock, no change to cervix at all and no contractions, so onto syntocinon drip. Insisted epidural was sited before this was started, so comedian anaesthetist came in (advice, ask for local anaesthetic in hand before they site needle for drip.) Epidural in swiftly and efficiently, though just as he started procedure was struck by MONSTER continuous contractions. Epidural all the more welcome! Started synto, but already contracting every 90 secs, so just gave me a tickle! No pain (epidural!) so smiley. After one hour felt I needed a wee, so given bed pan. Commented I couldn't wee because something was blocking the way. Examined by Midwife who said head was just visible. Fetal heart suddenly dropped to 60 and stayed there so started pushing, head was coming but not quite quickly enough considering heart beat so second lovely midwife came in, legs up in lithotomy and doctor in to do a kiwi. (like an ventouse but a bit more up to date and efficient!)Midwives didn't panic, doctor was marvellous, paed was standing by and I felt no pain (epidural!) so 5 minutes of intense hard work and out popped Henry's head! Worry of shoulder distocia as he's a big chap (9lb 3 1/2oz), but again fab obstetric team reacted very quickly and efficiently and out he came with apgars of 9 and 10. Immediate skin to skin everyone smiling. DH took him for placenta and stitches (epidural don't forget so no pain!!!!!). Fabulous cup of tea, decent breastfeed (latched straight on) and within a couple of hours I was drip and monitor free and in the bath. Perfumed (Ralph Lauren Romance), moisturised, new nightie and big big smile. Walked up to ward feeling triumphant. . Not a natural birth but a bloody good one!!!

ThisValenTime Wed 14-Feb-07 20:21:14

Fabulous news...Welcome to the world Henry x

gothicmama Wed 14-Feb-07 20:21:24

glad it was good congrats on Henry

lulumama Wed 14-Feb-07 20:22:45

wow ! congratulations x

kiwi? not heard of that ! sounds fruity ! x

morocco Wed 14-Feb-07 20:24:04

congratulations

MrsJohnCusack Wed 14-Feb-07 20:39:25

how very efficient - congratulations!

yes and what is a Kiwi? have visions of a very small NZer leaping into action...

Bienchen Thu 15-Feb-07 06:45:39

Congrats Sallyallyally, DH and Henry. And I'd like to know too what a Kiwi is!!

auntymandy Thu 15-Feb-07 06:51:24

Well done!!

Quootiepie Thu 15-Feb-07 07:00:38

Oh, well done!!! {{hugs}} xXx

I had a kiwi... here

SmudgeMum Fri 16-Feb-07 18:29:57

Sallyallyally, congratulations. Knew you'd get there in the end. Not suprising it took a while with such a big chap. Glad whole thing went well and that noone seemed to panic. Very impressed with your quick clean up - i didn't get to have a shower until the next day See you on the postnatal thread.

peachygirl Mon 19-Feb-07 15:25:10

Congratulations sally, what a great birth story!

hairycaterpillar Tue 20-Feb-07 19:13:47

Wow what a story!

Congratulations

Hulababy Tue 20-Feb-07 19:14:55

Welcome to Henry

Cadbury Tue 20-Feb-07 19:19:19

Wow, excellent birth! Congratulations! There is a lot to be said for epidurals

titchy77 Wed 21-Feb-07 15:01:27

congratulations and welcome henry! xx

Nip Wed 21-Feb-07 15:03:48

Congratulations Sally

andyrobo237 Wed 21-Feb-07 20:09:34

well done - you finally got there in the end! - what a good size!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now