Talk

Advanced search

Surname legalities

(8 Posts)
KoolDog Tue 03-May-16 14:55:15

Hi

My fiance and I aren't married - yet; things got put off to have a baby instead. We're going to go for a double-barrelled surname - so should we register the baby with that? Or choose one of our surnames and then get them all changed together next year?

Thanks! x

BertrandRussell Tue 03-May-16 14:57:26

register him with the name he's going to use - so the hyphenated one.

CantWin Tue 10-May-16 13:54:22

I got my baby registered with a double barrelled surname and was told that I could drop a name once we were married if we wanted to... Hope that helps but ask when ur there smile

IloveCliveBixby Tue 10-May-16 13:56:56

You can call him whatever you want, if you get married, you'll have to re register him again anyway. That's what we have to do (and we are changing the order of ds's double barrelled surname because dp wants it to be alphabetical ha)

AmyC86 Thu 14-Jul-16 10:08:55

I know someone who used both surnames in a double barrelled style. However, they're not even in a relationship now, both parents just wanted the baby to have both names as an identity thing & stated that when he was an adult he could decide which name he wanted use.

user1479140330 Mon 14-Nov-16 17:14:43

If you plan on getting married soon after your babies birth, I would give the child your fiances surname (if you will be taking his name after you're married) saving time and effort of changing the child's name via deed poll.

Meadows76 Mon 14-Nov-16 17:18:24

Give your child the name you want them to have. I can't see the point in giving a different name, with the intent to change it confused

Meadows76 Mon 14-Nov-16 17:19:10

If you plan on getting married soon after your babies birth, I would give the child your fiances surname (if you will be taking his name after you're married) saving time and effort of changing the child's name via deed poll. it may help if you go back and read the OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now