Talk

Advanced search

Baptism advice

(3 Posts)
soontobemrslizzy Mon 04-Jan-16 14:51:45

Hi everyone

We have booked the date for our little one's baptism to be April 17th (she's due March 20th, so even if she's late that should be fine and it's the only weekend my parents will be in the country!). Given that I may only be between 2-4 weeks post-partum, I'm not sure what I should wear. Has anyone been in this situation and has any good suggestions?

Also, I'm not British so I'm not sure if there are any traditions with baptism that we should try to incorporate. The baptism will be Catholic but my dh and his family are not (he's an atheist, his family are Church of Scotland) so if there are any cultural traditions from Scotland/the UK it would be nice to have them so his family feels included. Any suggestions would be very welcomed!

PreggoandTired Tue 16-Feb-16 08:03:11

Hi, how exiting! I would start by not putting too much pressure on yourself. You will have enough to be dealing with rather than worrying about the minor details of the baptism.

Keep in mind what baptism really is. Jesus was baptised in a river by his cousin. God doesn't care what you're wearing or what little details are added so relax and enjoy it!

In a more practical level, I would just wear a nice light coloured dress. If you have any doubts speak to your priest and I'm sure he will put your mind at rest and live to help with anything he can. thanks

Iamnotloobrushphobic Tue 16-Feb-16 08:08:01

I wouldn't wear a light coloured dress. You will probably still be bleeding and leaking through onto a noticeable coloured fabric is the last thing you need to be thinking about.
i don't know about traditions. Some people like to invite the vicar along to the celebration party but I don't know if that is commonplace in the Catholic Church with a priest. Some people like to buy thank you presents for the god parents. Does your husbands family have a family heirloom gown that you can use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now