Talk

Advanced search

DrNortherner - and any other bereaved - it does change or ease a bit...

(5 Posts)
RubysReturn Sun 08-Nov-09 11:28:02

...yesterday, I used all my mums cake decorating things to decorate my dds birthday cake.

After 5 years I was able to feel pleasure at using something like this and felt a connection that made me happy rather than sad.

Obv you still miss your person, but it does become less sharp.

mumofsatan Sun 08-Nov-09 12:28:09

I can understand that. Its 5 years since dad and just over 5 months since mum and funnily enough, it was a cake thing that triggered happy memories of mum for me recently.

DD was 3 last month and for all my DC I make them a themed birthday cake, from a book that mum bought when DS1 (now 16) was a toddler. Most of my friends think I'm mad and they just buy cakes but I've always tried to do it and now I will always do it as it is a happy memory of mum. Last year was a rabbit and this year was a fairy princess castle.

DS2 will be one in February and the book will come out again then.

RubysReturn Sun 08-Nov-09 13:14:13

smile

anastasia74 Sun 08-Nov-09 17:56:43

Hiya,my dad passed away in July.
Yes, I would say it has become less sharp. I do not have the pain in my chest I had in the early weeks.

Its been the longest most painful 4 months of my life though - Still feels very difficult for me to accept he's not here with me anymore and still miss him so much - Went to his grave this weekend. He had so many plans for the future and was not ready to go. He loved his life. Thats what hurts so much.

DrNortherner Sun 08-Nov-09 18:32:17

Thanks rubys. I know it is a cliche but time really is the greatest healer.

Glad your mums baking stuff was of use to you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now