Talk

Advanced search

funeral flowers - what to do?

(5 Posts)
tellnoone Sun 27-Sep-09 14:05:08

My lovely gran (my mum's mum) died last week and the funeral is on Tuesday. The arrangements have been a bit rushed (delay with death certificate etc) so I'm only just realising today that I need to arrange flowers from my family and I need to arrange it tomorrow.

What is the done thing? My mum is devastated and it's important to her in general for weddings/funerals to be done the right etiquette etc so I want to get it right for her because I know she will appreciate it.

Do I have a wreath delivered to the funeral service or the burial or the get together afterwards? Or can I bring the flowers with me on the morning? Who do I write it to? To my mum and her siblings? or to my gran e.g. we're missing you gran? Can I club together with my siblings from all our families or would it be better to each send our own flowers?

Thanks for any help.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 14:10:39

Flowers are normally delivered to the funeral directors and placed on the coffin during the service. Then they are moved by the funeral directors and placed on the grave after the service.

You can bring flowers on the day - many people do, but if you do, you should present them to the funeral director who will put them in the right place.

It is normal to write the card to the deceased with a note which makes it clear who they are from 'missing you gran, love XX' for example. It's fine to club together and if you are getting a wreath often this is better because you can get a more substantial one.

The funeral director can advise you on all this as can the florist though - don't worry, they will be used to it.

Sorry for your loss

tellnoone Sun 27-Sep-09 14:31:02

Thanks wmmc that's helped a lot.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 15:56:06

Sorry I should also have said, in case your mum isn't up to it. It is the responsibility of a family member, usually the son or the spouse to inform attendees of the arrangements for afterwards. People don't automatically assume there is anything afterwards unless invited.

You can get the vicar/minister/celebrant to announce this though.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 15:57:48

A guide to which flowers to pick here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now