Talk

Advanced search

My friends Mum has just died

(6 Posts)
iMum Fri 25-Sep-09 19:30:15

We are friends, not best buddies but good friends-I can talk to her about all sorts, Ive been her childminder and our Sons are in the same class.

Her very brave mum has just lost her 7 year long battle against cancer and I feel so much for her. Her Mum was lovely and in the final weeks was very upfront about wanting to die, talking to me when I last saw her about her funeral and so on all in front of my poor friend who has also been so brave.

I am going to bake her a cake-thats our thing you see, she loves my cakes and when feeling down i bake a cake for her. But I wanted to give her something too, ive got no money and dont really want to give flowers etc.

9 years ago in Feb my daughter was Still born and I listened to a particular album during the months that followed, I even had one track played at her funeral.

The album is really quite sombre but seemed to fit with that time in my life, there are also echos of hope and glimmers of light in the dark on it.

The album is Ophelia by Natalie Merchant-I was going to write my friend a letter and give her a copy of this album with the cake-what do think?

Deemented Fri 25-Sep-09 20:17:05

I think that's lovely. Your friend is very lucky smile

bert74 Fri 25-Sep-09 20:41:16

I agree, it shows your friend you are thinking of her at this very hard time.

mulranno Sat 26-Sep-09 00:17:18

Bake her a cake every now and then...it really helps when people dont think you are all fine 6 weeks later...drop a cake in every month she would be very appreciative

sounds like shes lucky to have you

mumoverseas Sat 26-Sep-09 06:19:13

totally agree with mulranno. It is so true that people think you get over it quickly. You don't. I lost my mum in May and the first few days friends were lovely then it was all of a sudden as if I was supposed to be over it. Even DH said a week later, even before the funeral 'come on sweetheart, its been a week now'! I love him to bits but will never forget (or forgive) that comment.
Your friend is very lucky to have you and I wished I had a lovely friend like you.
I am very sorry for the loss of your daughter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now