Talk

Advanced search

Bereavement counsellor

(5 Posts)
oneofapair Wed 23-Sep-09 14:27:16

What should I expect a bereavement counsellor to do in our meetings?

What experiences, good or bad, have other readers had with these people?

whomovedmychocolate Wed 23-Sep-09 21:55:51

Mostly they just ask a question and let you talk, cry and just generally get it all out in the open. I've only ever seen one and I found it hugely helpful, hadn't felt able to cry because I was holding things together for everyone else's benefit and just having an hour where it was fine to just fall apart, did help.

evansmummy Tue 06-Oct-09 18:48:28

I would definitely echo that. Was amazing to have someone who I was totally comfortable was not going to judge me, no matter what I said. It was just a time to be able to say anything I needed to or wanted to, and to cry.

I have to add though, that I know other people who have had rubbish counsellors. Don't be afraid to ask to change if you don't feel comfortable with this one.

Don't know of your loss, but I am sorry xx

LilRedWG Wed 07-Oct-09 10:52:11

I have only had the one session so far, but WMMC sums it up completely.

iwascyteenagewerewolf Wed 07-Oct-09 16:04:39

I'm back on the waiting list for counselling because the first one I had was a bit of a tool hmm but even so, the three sessions I had with him were variously useful. It was good to have a whole hour to talk about ME blush. I did find it painful though, the couple of days after were always very chaotic emotionally, so be prepared for that if you go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now