Talk

Advanced search

Sympathy card etiquette - what shall I write?

(2 Posts)
PrettyUselessHousewife Wed 17-Jun-09 14:47:04

My auntie has died - it was pretty sudden - a matter of weeks from finding out she was ill.

She was really important to me and I'd like to send my uncle a card saying as much and letting him know I'm thinking of him. But I feel hypocritical saying how much I'll miss her when I hadn't actually seen her since last summer (they do live a long way away and we have a toddler and a business we're desperately trying to keep afloat through the recession). I honestly thought she would live another twenty years or so and that I had all the time in the world to visit sad.

So can I say that she meant a lot to me and I'll miss her or should I stick to bland "sorry for your loss" type words? I've never sent a condolences card to a family member before and have no idea what's appropriate really.

Poledra Wed 17-Jun-09 14:52:54

I'm so sorry for your loss, PUH. I would write almost exactly what you wrote here - tell him how much she meant to you then say that you felt you had all the time on the world to see her. People can understand that - we all do it. I remember sending a card to a family friend whose husband had died - I told her that, though I had not seen them for some years (had moved to hte other end of the country), whenever I thought of Gordon I saw him laughing his great big belly laugh, with a glass of red in his hand. When the wife saw my mother a couple of months later, she said it meant a lot to know that people saw him like that, and that that wa their memory of him.

Bit of a waffle - hope some of it helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now