Talk

Advanced search

My 12 week ols nephew died on Friday night....

(50 Posts)
babybuttercup Wed 24-Sep-08 15:59:51

He was born with a heart condition. He was missing a heart artery, had a hole in the heart and other problems. He had major open heart surgery last Tuesday. He came out of theatre and was doing fantastic for the first 24 hours and then it all just went down hill. Wedneday night his heart stopped and they massaged his heart for 58mins and put him on a ventilator. They had to shock his heart 27 times that night and i can still see his poor body jump. Over the next couple of days his kidneys went on strike, his lungs filled with fluid and his heart was struggling. Myself, my brother, his partner and a family friend all stayed with my nephew day and night, we took it in turns to never let him be alone and to hold his hand and talk to him. We never thought he would leave us, he kept fighting until the end. His pupils became fixed on Friday morning so a CT scan was done in the afternoon. He was brain dead and had already died but the machines were keeping him alive. He was gone. I didn't want to say goodbye but i had to. Before they took all the machines away i told him i was sorry. That mummy, daddy and the rest of the family tried. We done everything we could. I was sorry. When we had all said our peace they asked us to leave whilst they sorted him out. Then his mum and dad held him and had time alone with him. I also held him, he looked so peaceful,i wanted to make him come alive again. I didnt want to let him go.

I have to be strong to support my family but i just had to tell someone else.

Please pray for him i just want him to be in peace.

I post morton is being done Thursday, why cant they just leave him alone, his body has been through enough.

AnAngelWithin Wed 24-Sep-08 16:01:16

so sorry for your familys loss. thinking of you xx

smugmumofboys Wed 24-Sep-08 16:03:16

That's really sad. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

MrsWeasley Wed 24-Sep-08 16:03:34

so sorry

lizandlulu Wed 24-Sep-08 16:05:18

such an awful thng to go throughsad

mrsruffallo Wed 24-Sep-08 16:05:51

So soorry for your loss bbc

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 24-Sep-08 16:05:57

What an awful thing to go through but so eloquently wriiten.

mamadiva Wed 24-Sep-08 16:06:13

I'm so sorry for your loss. Atleast you had that special 12 weeks with him, got to love him and give him as happy a life as you could in the short time he was with you all.

Sympathies to you and your family x

moodlumthehoodlum Wed 24-Sep-08 16:06:24

I'm so sorry buttercup. I'm sure you will find support on MN.

babybuttercup Wed 24-Sep-08 16:09:45

He could light up a room with his smile. He was jsut starting to smile, gurgle, become stronger and look around. He was so loved. Life is so unfair

cali Wed 24-Sep-08 16:10:53

Sorry to hear this, - to survive surgery and do well for the first 24 hours, you think that the hardest part is over, and then something awful like this happens.

I know it is hard to think about a post mortem just now but they can and do, give parents/families answers and this can be helpful for any future pregnancies.
I realise that this will be the last thing on peoples minds at the present time but it may be something for the future.

take care and make sure you can be supported too,

x

babybuttercup Wed 24-Sep-08 16:14:40

He was in the best childrens hospital in the country. We never thought he would be gone. I'm so proud of him, his poor body just couldn't take any more. He was such a fighter. I just want him back. I cant bare to think of him being alone. He loved to be with people.

ClairePO Wed 24-Sep-08 16:16:46

I'm very sorry babybuttercup

psychomum5 Wed 24-Sep-08 16:20:38

much sympathy at this sad time

Kat172 Wed 24-Sep-08 19:03:59

i am so very sorry for the loss of your darling nepwhew , sending all my love.
xxxxxxx

LIZS Wed 24-Sep-08 19:08:38

I'm so sorry A relative's dc also had complex open heart surgery at a very young age, his deformity was detected relatively late in pg, but fortunately with a more positive outcome, however I believe it is a very fine line and he was incredibly lucky. Heartbreaking for you all.

heartmummy Wed 24-Sep-08 19:46:32

im so sorry for your familes loss x x

heartmummy Wed 24-Sep-08 19:46:34

im so sorry for your familes loss x x

Cocolepew Wed 24-Sep-08 19:47:52

Sorry for your loss

Dropdeadfred Wed 24-Sep-08 19:49:52

So sorry that you have to bear this pain. sad

LilRedWG Wed 24-Sep-08 19:50:33

I'm so sorry for you loss. I understand that you want to be strong for you family, but please do allow yourself to grieve too.

bubblerock Wed 24-Sep-08 19:51:24

Awww, bless him, sorry for your loss sad

Nappyzoneneedssleep Wed 24-Sep-08 19:52:11

I am so sorry for the loss of your newphew - i have gone and sobbed all over my keyboard sad

lardybump Wed 24-Sep-08 19:52:57

sadso sorry for your loss

gingerninja Wed 24-Sep-08 19:55:14

What a sad story. Much love to you and his family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now