Talk

Advanced search

such sad news at toddler group ths morning

(7 Posts)
Tommy Tue 09-Sep-08 13:06:47

went back to toddler group today and found out that a baby died over the summer holidays. It was a cot death - He was 8 weeks old sad

I don't know the mum that much at all, I did try rather clumsily to tell her how sorry I was and we had a short chat about it but I feel so helpless - I want to do something "to help" but I know there's nothing I can do. It's so sad - I was crying all the way home - I just can't imagine how she feels or is going to manage it

sad

lulumama Tue 09-Sep-08 13:08:10

make a donation to SIDS foundation or similar? it is shocking and incomprehensible when a baby dies, it is so against the natural order of things. well done for saying something to the mother, must have been nerve wracking

Tommy Tue 09-Sep-08 13:13:59

thanks lulumama - wasn't really nervewracking as I am used to dealing with bereaved people but just so sad. I just kept thinking what I would do/feel if I went into my DS in the morning and he wasn't breathing sad

The people that run the toddler group were talking about having a fundraising evening for the SIDS charity - which would be something we could all do I suppose to show here that we are supporting her.

It's just crap though sad

lulumama Tue 09-Sep-08 13:43:42

i see. it is just desperately sad though. great you are all going to do something though. i am sure it will be much appreciated

differentID Tue 09-Sep-08 13:49:23

I think the fact that you acknowledged her grief and spoke to her has gone a long way towards helping. The fund raising idea is lovely.

Miaou Tue 09-Sep-08 13:50:55

I think that's all you can do given the circumstances - just the fact that you acknowledge and talk about it will (I guess) be helpful. And organising fundraising events again shows how you feel about it.

So sad though sad, I agree

Ceolas Tue 09-Sep-08 13:51:31

I think the best thing you can do is to have a few more short chats to her over the next few months if you can manage to.

My sister had a stillbirth in April and I think she appreciates people not forgetting about it and pretending life goes on regardless iyswim.

It's so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now