Talk

Advanced search

my aunts been given 3 months to live

(7 Posts)
mashedbanana Sat 06-Sep-08 21:41:16

and tomorrow we're having a family get together which will probably be the last we have with her.i'm finding it really difficult.my aunts had cancer for the last year and now theres nothing more they can do.she is going to loros once a week for respite.i've been burying my head in the sand and it's just hit me that times running out.in the last 2 years i've lost my nan and 2 friends.i don't think i can cope with another loss.i feel i'd be able to handle it better if i didn't know she was dying.it's knowing it's going to happen soon that i find hard.

thingamajig Sun 07-Sep-08 00:45:31

I'm very sorry to hear this and didnt want your post to go unanswerwed. Make some lovely memories tomorrow.

trumpetgirl Sun 07-Sep-08 00:51:22

My Mum died of cancer when I was 9 years old, and because I have younger brothers the decision was taken not to tell us what was happening. When she died I felt it was a sudden death, and was completely shocked by it. Ever since then I think about all the things I would have done differently if I had have known, so I can tell you it's good that you do.
I advise you to make sure you say everything to your Aunt that you need to. Spend as much time as you can with her, and enjoy her as much as possible. The very worst thing that could happen here is that you end up regretting your actions when the inevitable comes.
I feel that in a way you have already started grieving, and that you need to spend time with family and help each other get through this. Don't be embarassed to seek professional help if necessary. If you have a good doctor, it might be worth going to have a chat.
I hope you can enjoy the get together tomorrow, and see it as an opportunity to spend time with someone you love rather than dwelling on the fact that it will be the last time you are all together.

findtheriver Sun 07-Sep-08 11:32:22

I just wanted to post too. What trumpetgirl says is spot on.

Onlyjoking Sun 07-Sep-08 22:02:07

go make some memories take lots of photos and video too, it is hard to deal with and i am sure there will be tears as well as smiles. will be thinking of you.

twoluvlykids Sun 07-Sep-08 22:04:29

mashedbanana - I hope it went ok. Maybe you could see her again, just on your own?

mashedbanana Mon 08-Sep-08 15:17:53

hi thanks for your lovely comments.we had a lovely afternoon the sun even came out.my aunt was quite up beat and we had a great time telling funny stories and remembering things we did when we were kids.my aunt made a small speech which wasn't morbid in any way just really touching.my aunts coming to spend an afternoon with us next week.i've decided i'm going to write her a letter to tell her a few personal things that i can't tell her face to face [i get to emotional]she can read it then when she feels ready to.thanks again to you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now