Talk

Advanced search

my dad is dying - I feel like I am on a roller coaster

(5 Posts)
janx Mon 04-Aug-08 20:28:25

my dad has been intensive care in Ireland for 2 weeks now - he is basically being kept alive by machines - every few days they have been doing assessments to decide what to do. I am in London with 2 small children and have seen him once. My mum is with him all the time. Yesterday there seemed some improvement - today the doctors seem less hopeful. He has said he never wanted to be dependent on machines - I can't help feeling he would not want this sad

Hassled Mon 04-Aug-08 20:31:56

I'm very sorry - what an awful time for you. Is there any way you can get back over there? Could you bring the DCs and leave them with family in Ireland while you get to the hospital?

triplets Mon 04-Aug-08 22:28:39

So very sorry for you, I know I don`t know you, but you are a daughter who loves her Dad, like me. My Dad died within 2 weeks of being diagnosed with cancer that was 8 years ago, there isn`t a day goes by I don`t miss him. Lots of love to you xxxx

janx Tue 05-Aug-08 09:15:50

Thanks for your messages - it looks like they are going to switch off the machines in the next couple of days - so I am going over tomorrow with my family. I have been trying to explain things to my little girl who is nearly 4 - it is quite difficult

triplets Wed 06-Aug-08 10:10:55

Janx, so sorry you have to face this. There is the most wonderful little book if you can get hold of it to help your little one understand. Its called Waterbugs and Dragonflies by Doris Stickney, its a tiny simple book explaining death in a way that they can understand. When my son died in 1994 I had many books sent to me about death and grief etc. This is the book that meant more to me than any other, yet its meant for children. Its tiny and simple, I bought mine at our local Christian book shop. If you cannot find a copy I would be very happy to lend you mine, truly xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now