Talk

Advanced search

Molar Pregnancy

(7 Posts)
dawnybabs26 Wed 22-Dec-04 10:58:31

Please help, I feel so alone.

This was my first time being pregnant and on November 15th, when I was approx 12 weeks I had my first scan, only to be told that I had suffered a missed miscarriage.
There was no heartbeat and the baby had only progressed to 8 weeks.

Having had no indication what-so-ever, has made it extremely hard to take in (not even the slightest bit of spotting).
Two days later I went into hospital to have a medically assisted miscarriage.

It happened a week before my fiance's birthday, and with it being so close to Christmas, this gave me something to concentrate on and to take my mind off it.
(That first week I coped really well, I just went into autopilot!).

But last Saturday I got a letter from the hospital saying the test results show that I had a molar pregnancy, and today is my appointment at the hospital.

During the week when I had the miscarriage, my fiance and my mum were really supportive, but they can't seem to understand why I'm so upset to discover I had a molar pregnancy (its just brought it all back to the surface, just as I was putting the whole experience behind me).

I just feel so hurt, scared and alone.
I have lots of female relatives and friends, but none of them have ever had a miscarriage, and to discover that I am that 1 in 1200, has made me feel even more isolated.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced missed miscarriages with no symtoms? Or molar pregnancies?

sparklynorthernstar Wed 22-Dec-04 11:05:20

Hi Dawny. No experience of this, but just wanted to say sorry for your loss.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some wise words.

Rogue Wed 22-Dec-04 11:06:44

it takes time sometime to greive and it is very hard loosing a child all i can say is let it out talk to your family and tell them that you shut it out this has just made the wound reopen. dont block it out like i did it makes it so much harder to deal with when you do. it will all work out in the end you can mail me direct if you like i will be here if you need to talk, i know what your going through and it will get easier.
all the best
Rogue

tina.mcevoy@blueyonder.co.uk

MariNativityPlay Wed 22-Dec-04 11:09:11

dawnybabs, there is a Mner who had a molar pregnancy, her name is Soapbox. Unfortunately a lot of us who work outside the home are signing off from Mumsnet today or tomorrow, so she might not see your post for a while.
I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage and the molar pregnancy diagnosis. I am not surprised at all that you feel scared and alone, I would feel the same in your position (I had a stillbirth in 2002 so I do know what it is to lose a baby, but my circumstances are very different).
Did the hospital give you any information at all on molar pregnancy and what to expect? From what I know, I think you will have to have hormone levels monitored for a while before getting the all-clear to start trying for another baby. Hopefully you will receive lots of sympathetic support from the hospital and this will enable you to explain to your mum and fiance that molar pregnancy is a rare and very occasionally SERIOUS medical issue (don't be afraid to lay it on with a trowel to them if they seem not to grasp how distressed you are).
Good luck at the hospital today, please let us know how you get on.
And, although these circumstances are desperately sad, welcome to Mumsnet too. You will get brilliant support here in good times and bad. {{{{Hugs}}}}

hester Wed 22-Dec-04 11:45:30

Dawnybabs, I am so sorry this has happened to you. I have just miscarried my first pregnancy - in fact, I started miscarrying on the day you had your scan - so I can really sympathise on that. I have no experience of molar pregnancy but I know that it is serious and scary and your mum and fiance must understand this. There was a Mumsnet thread on molar pregnancy just recently, I think. I still haven't learned how to do links but you should be able to find it if you do a search.

You've had a really horrible experience and it will take a while to get over it. Please keep posting and ask for all the help you need - this site may be quiet over the next week or two but there's a lot of people here who will understand what you are going through.

Big hugs to you.

frogs Wed 22-Dec-04 12:23:31

I had a molar pregnancy between dd1 and ds. It was a horrid experience, but I had no problems conceiving again when treatment had finished, and no problems with my two subsequent pregnancies (tho' you do have to do a brief follow-up after giving birth).

Mine was diagnosed quite late (16 weeks) and I did look pregnant, so lots of people knew, and shared their own bad experiences with me, which did make me feel less like a freak. If none of your female friends have had miscarriages, then either they've all been extremely lucky, or they haven't been in the business of having babies for long enough, because its incredibly common.

The staff at the three molar pregnancy follow-up centres (Charing Cross, Sheffield and Dundee, depending on whereabouts in the country you are) are very good, and produce some helpful leaflets. There is a national protocol for follow-up and treatment, which means you don't have to worry about whether you're being treated appropriately.

If you want more information, do CAT me, I am around and checking my email once a day or so!

hth

feastofstevenmom Wed 22-Dec-04 15:06:05

sorry to hear of your loss, dawnybabs.

the US babycenter site has a board specifically dealing with molar pregnancies which you might find useful

at:-http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/preconception/precongrief/1143021

take care
x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: